Hardware firewall - Network

This is a discussion on Hardware firewall - Network ; I d like to use a computer as firewall and to run some servers. What do you recomend me? I ve been lokking for a solution on the net and I ve seen some linux distros like smoothwall, ipcop, which ...

  1. Hardware firewall

    I d like to use a computer as firewall and to run some servers. What do
    you recomend me? I ve been lokking for a solution on the net and I ve
    seen some linux distros like smoothwall, ipcop, which are made for this.
    Is this really secure ?

  2. Re: Hardware firewall

    That's a software firewall....
    what kind of budget do you have for this task? ?

    Julian Dragut
    "flipper" wrote in message
    > I d like to use a computer as firewall and to run some servers. What do
    > you recomend me? I ve been lokking for a solution on the net and I ve
    > seen some linux distros like smoothwall, ipcop, which are made for this.
    > Is this really secure ?

  3. Re: Hardware firewall

    In article <4254582c$0$2232$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, flipper wrote:

    >I d like to use a computer as firewall and to run some servers.

    The smart person does not run ANYTHING on the firewall except the firewall.
    The server should be on a different computer.

    >What do you recomend me? I ve been lokking for a solution on the net and
    >I ve seen some linux distros like smoothwall, ipcop, which are made for
    >this.

    Those are firewall distributions, and are not meant to also be running
    servers. Any general purpose Linux or BSD distribution will do if you
    are willing to learn to set them up correctly.

    >Is this really secure ?

    Only if you learn what you are doing. Fire can keep you warm, or
    burn your house down. Did you have to learn to use fire?

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread