File Sharing Problem - Network

This is a discussion on File Sharing Problem - Network ; I have a PC called Mars and a Laptop call Venus both using XP Pro SP2 Wireless network using Netgear Wireless ADSL Router. Both computers are Workgroup and the IP address is assigned automatically. Venus and Mars have their own ...

  1. File Sharing Problem

    I have a PC called Mars and a Laptop call Venus both using XP Pro SP2
    Wireless network using Netgear Wireless ADSL Router. Both computers are
    Workgroup and the IP address is assigned automatically. Venus and Mars have
    their own wireless cards, and both connect to the Internet OK via the
    Netgear ADSL Wireless Router.

    File sharing on both is on, and I have setup shared folders on both
    machines. Firewall is set to allow file and print sharing.

    Venus can see the shared files on \\Mars, but Mars cannot see \\Venus. Error
    message "\\Venus is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
    this network resource. Blah blah..... Search finds Venus on the network, but
    I cannot get any further.

    What is missing???

  2. Re: File Sharing Problem

    1313, , the inane, snaky flasher, and dealer in pickles and
    dried meats, insinuated:

    > I have a PC called Mars and a Laptop call Venus both using XP Pro SP2
    > Wireless network using Netgear Wireless ADSL Router. Both computers
    > are Workgroup and the IP address is assigned automatically. Venus and
    > Mars have their own wireless cards, and both connect to the Internet
    > OK via the Netgear ADSL Wireless Router.
    >
    > File sharing on both is on, and I have setup shared folders on both
    > machines. Firewall is set to allow file and print sharing.
    >
    > Venus can see the shared files on \\Mars, but Mars cannot see
    > \\Venus. Error message "\\Venus is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Blah blah..... Search finds
    > Venus on the network, but I cannot get any further.
    >
    > What is missing???

    Uranus. You need to stick them both up uranus.

    HTH

    --
    Lunch was nice;

    Tainted roadkill tail and aardvark ulcer vinegar accentuated with marinated
    jellyfish innards with garlic seasoning, simmered in a chilled skillet chock
    full of home-grown whole celery and rhubarb with croutons of kelp in fruit
    juice, a side of yellow pepper and a cup of saliva.

  3. Re: File Sharing Problem

    Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:

    | What is missing???

    Make sure the user you are logging in with exists on the other computer
    with rights to the shared folder.

  4. Re: File Sharing Problem

    Can you supply more info?

    "mhicaoidh" wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:
    > |
    > | What is missing???
    >
    > Make sure the user you are logging in with exists on the other computer
    > with rights to the shared folder.

  5. Re: File Sharing Problem

    "1313" <13@13.com> wrote in message news:422eff11@212.67.96.135...
    > Can you supply more info?

    Make sure your user account exists on both computers and that the account has
    permission to access the shared folder. Which part do you not undertand?

    > "mhicaoidh" wrote in message
    >> Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:
    >> |
    >> | What is missing???
    >>
    >> Make sure the user you are logging in with exists on the other computer
    >> with rights to the shared folder.

  6. Re: File Sharing Problem

    Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:

    | Can you supply more info?

    If you are logging into Computer A with the following:

    Joe
    pass1

    ... and you are logging into Computer B with the following:

    Ed
    passY

    ... make sure each user and password exists on the other machine so they
    can be properly authenticated to access the share.

  7. Re: File Sharing Problem

    1313 wrote:

    > Can you supply more info?
    >
    > "mhicaoidh" wrote in message
    >
    >>Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:
    >>|
    >>| What is missing???
    >>
    >> Make sure the user you are logging in with exists on the other computer
    >>with rights to the shared folder.

    You can add user accounts in Control Panel, Administrative tools, and
    Computer Management. From there you will see a users and groups
    category. You can add from there.

    --
    http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    way!

  8. Re: File Sharing Problem

    HE HE HE HE,

    This should be employment test question....
    If you've set up the permissions right, try enabling the Guest account on
    the second machine!
    Give "everyone" read permission.

    mY 2 cENTS

    Julian Dragut

    "Tom - www.tditcorp.com" wrote in message
    > 1313 wrote:
    >
    > > Can you supply more info?
    > >
    > > "mhicaoidh" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Taking a moment's reflection, 1313 mused:

    > >> Make sure the user you are logging in with exists on the other

    computer
    > >>with rights to the shared folder.
    > >>

    > You can add user accounts in Control Panel, Administrative tools, and
    > Computer Management. From there you will see a users and groups
    > category. You can add from there.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    > way!