Remote Control 2 PC behind broadband router? - Network

This is a discussion on Remote Control 2 PC behind broadband router? - Network ; My office deploy some restriction on outgoing and incoming network traffic, I can only do simple web browsing and FTP using the standard ports (ie 80, 21, 25,etc) At times I need to check on the status of some processing ...

  1. Remote Control 2 PC behind broadband router?

    My office deploy some restriction on outgoing and incoming network
    traffic, I can only do simple web browsing and FTP using the standard
    ports (ie 80, 21, 25,etc)

    At times I need to check on the status of some processing task on 2
    units of PC at home, they are always connected to the net via cable
    modem shared thru a broadband router.

    I used free Dynu.com service to assign myself a "static" hostname.

    I am not very well versed with networking, but I do know that NAT
    translation of a common web hosting service running behind a router is
    almost impossible.

    Anyone know of any good remote control software which allow me to
    access my both of my home PC (behind router) through my office firewall
    (port 80 or port 21)?

    I heard that the latest VNC can be configured to achieve the above
    mentioned, but there isn't much literature on the configuration HOWTO.
    Is there any layman guide for such?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Remote Control 2 PC behind broadband router?

    Ultra Kiasu wrote:
    > My office deploy some restriction on outgoing and incoming network
    > traffic, I can only do simple web browsing and FTP using the standard
    > ports (ie 80, 21, 25,etc)
    >
    > At times I need to check on the status of some processing task on 2
    > units of PC at home, they are always connected to the net via cable
    > modem shared thru a broadband router.
    >
    > I used free Dynu.com service to assign myself a "static" hostname.
    >
    > I am not very well versed with networking, but I do know that NAT
    > translation of a common web hosting service running behind a router is
    > almost impossible.
    >
    > Anyone know of any good remote control software which allow me to
    > access my both of my home PC (behind router) through my office firewall
    > (port 80 or port 21)?
    >
    > I heard that the latest VNC can be configured to achieve the above
    > mentioned, but there isn't much literature on the configuration HOWTO.
    > Is there any layman guide for such?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Hi,

    tightvnc (www.tightvnc.com) have the option that allow you to use vnc
    using the web browser (java applet).
    Usually tightvnc server listen at the port tcp 5900 and you can use
    using the vnc viewer.
    In the menu of configuration of vnc server you can find a otpion that
    enable WEB Interface (Java Applet) at the port 5800 tcp.
    If you set the web interface in the port 80 tcp ,i think you are satisfied.

    bye

    peppe

  3. Re: Remote Control 2 PC behind broadband router?

    "Ultra Kiasu" wrote in message
    news:1109168634.605068.198690@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > My office deploy some restriction on outgoing and incoming network
    > traffic, I can only do simple web browsing and FTP using the standard
    > ports (ie 80, 21, 25,etc)
    >
    > At times I need to check on the status of some processing task on 2
    > units of PC at home, they are always connected to the net via cable
    > modem shared thru a broadband router.
    >
    > I used free Dynu.com service to assign myself a "static" hostname.
    >
    > I am not very well versed with networking, but I do know that NAT
    > translation of a common web hosting service running behind a router is
    > almost impossible.
    >
    > Anyone know of any good remote control software which allow me to
    > access my both of my home PC (behind router) through my office firewall
    > (port 80 or port 21)?
    >
    > I heard that the latest VNC can be configured to achieve the above
    > mentioned, but there isn't much literature on the configuration HOWTO.
    > Is there any layman guide for such?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Try

    http://www.gotomypc.com