OS X and Fortinet firewalls - Network

This is a discussion on OS X and Fortinet firewalls - Network ; Hi All, Does anybody have any experiences with Mac OS X clients connecting to Fortinet firewalls? I'd like to hear both the good and the bad. What VPN clients were used? What configurations worked? I am considering recommending a Fortinet ...

  1. OS X and Fortinet firewalls

    Hi All,
    Does anybody have any experiences with Mac OS X clients connecting to
    Fortinet firewalls? I'd like to hear both the good and the bad. What VPN
    clients were used? What configurations worked?

    I am considering recommending a Fortinet Fortigate 60 to a client who
    will need VPN access for Macs. I googled for an hour and found nothing
    on this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Erik

  2. Re: OS X and Fortinet firewalls

    "Erik Meitner" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > Does anybody have any experiences with Mac OS X clients connecting to
    > Fortinet firewalls? I'd like to hear both the good and the bad. What VPN
    > clients were used? What configurations worked?
    >
    > I am considering recommending a Fortinet Fortigate 60 to a client who
    > will need VPN access for Macs. I googled for an hour and found nothing
    > on this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Erik

    I've not had any such experience but I wager it's non-trivial. What you
    need is an industry standard IPSec client for OSX -- I'm not a Mac guy so
    I'm not sure, but there probably is one. It's probably also not free. Then
    you need to configure the Fortigate with an IPSec connection suitable for
    the link. You're probably going to need to assign a virtual IP to the
    client too, in order for the Mac protocols to work, unless you are only
    using very straightforward TCP/IP traffic. You'd then need to review the
    docs for the software and compare them against the generic VPN configuration
    docs for the Fortinet.

    IPSec clients are *always* a pain in the butt, which is why Fortinet
    released the FortiClient VPN software -- easy to configure, has AV and IPS
    capabilties built in. But, no Mac version.

    Anyway it's a standard IPSec client setup you're doing -- failing that, you
    might try to do it with PPTP. The FortiGate supports this too, though it's
    not as secure.

    Regardless make sure you enable all the logging and view it in RAW format to
    get the most information out of the Fortinet as to why the connects are
    failing while you're troubleshooting it.

    -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread