Remote Monitoring of Web Access - Network

This is a discussion on Remote Monitoring of Web Access - Network ; Hi Any one help me with this one... My friend has two PC's at home that connect wireless to the internet via a BT VOYAGER (gateway router/adsl modem)... One of the PC's is hers and the other one is her ...

  1. Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    Hi

    Any one help me with this one...

    My friend has two PC's at home that connect wireless to the internet via a
    BT VOYAGER (gateway router/adsl modem)...

    One of the PC's is hers and the other one is her sons...

    We have a feeling that he is accessing some bad sites and we want to see
    where his is going...

    Ideally we do not want to put any software on his PC as he is quite computer
    literate and we would not want him to find anything... So that leaves us
    with two options...

    1. Put some software on her PC that monitors all sites visited via the BT
    VOYAGER
    2. Monitor the BT VOYAGER remotely from the her office... (I have the IP
    address and access passwords to the Voyager)

    Can any one suggest a cheap software solution to this problem...?

    Any help very welcome..

    Thanks

  2. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    "Colin A" wrote in message
    news:4211e99d$0$21928$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com ...
    > Hi
    >
    > Any one help me with this one...
    >
    > My friend has two PC's at home that connect wireless to the internet via a
    > BT VOYAGER (gateway router/adsl modem)...
    >
    > One of the PC's is hers and the other one is her sons...
    >
    > We have a feeling that he is accessing some bad sites and we want to see
    > where his is going...
    >
    > Ideally we do not want to put any software on his PC as he is quite
    > computer literate and we would not want him to find anything... So that
    > leaves us with two options...
    >
    > 1. Put some software on her PC that monitors all sites visited via the BT
    > VOYAGER
    > 2. Monitor the BT VOYAGER remotely from the her office... (I have the IP
    > address and access passwords to the Voyager)
    >
    > Can any one suggest a cheap software solution to this problem...?
    >
    > Any help very welcome..
    >
    > Thanks

    While I have no knowledge of your BT Voyager device you might want to check
    out the Wallwatcher program at wallwatcher.com. If your router has the
    capability of sending log entries to a remote location this program might be
    able to help.

    http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/#Routers link might help explain what would
    be needed to use the "generic" logging functions of the program.

  3. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    Colin A wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Any one help me with this one...
    >
    > My friend has two PC's at home that connect wireless to the internet via a
    > BT VOYAGER (gateway router/adsl modem)...
    >
    > One of the PC's is hers and the other one is her sons...
    >
    > We have a feeling that he is accessing some bad sites and we want to see
    > where his is going...
    >
    > Ideally we do not want to put any software on his PC as he is quite computer
    > literate and we would not want him to find anything... So that leaves us
    > with two options...
    >
    > 1. Put some software on her PC that monitors all sites visited via the BT
    > VOYAGER
    > 2. Monitor the BT VOYAGER remotely from the her office... (I have the IP
    > address and access passwords to the Voyager)
    >
    > Can any one suggest a cheap software solution to this problem...?
    >
    > Any help very welcome..
    >
    > Thanks

    There really is in my opinion no cheap way to do this. There is that I
    can think of no software for doing this that would not go on the sons
    pc. It has to otherwise how is it going to see where he goes? The router
    modem itself has to do this. If yers does no such logging when you log
    into the modem router then you must buy a new one. what you can do is
    buy a new router that has built in parental control. There is 2 that I
    can think of that are cheaper then other solutions I would recomend. the
    linksys 802.11g with speedbooster has built in parental control that has
    user accounts, reporting, time limits etc. it's from what i hear a
    fairly good wireless router. you can hook this into your modem router to
    a lan port. or get a Belkin 802.11G wireless router with built in
    parental control. it has reporting as well, but no user accounts and no
    time limits. it will filter everyone and you can view the reports of
    what places people went to. the www filter is the best in the world,
    just no user accounts like the linksys has. i know the filtering company
    belkin uses is the best cus i've tried all the software copanies like
    cyber patrol etc and the belkin router, they use filtering provided by
    Cerberian www.cerberian.com and it's bocking sites no others do, much
    better. the linksys however has the parental control provided by netopia
    www.netopia.com . it's ok, just in my opinion not as good filtering. you
    just need a new router cus you will have to install software on his pc
    that is parental control software. if the parents don't go to bad web
    sites ever then the belkin is the best choice as cerberian is much
    better at filtering. if parents might go to some places and want
    unfiltered access then the linksys is a better choice being it has the
    user accounts and you can see where each user goes and have time limits.

    if you'd like more info or to talk about this I'll be glad to help you
    out in anyway possible.

  4. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    "Joe" wrote in message
> [...]

    > belkin uses is the best cus i've tried all the software copanies like
    > cyber patrol etc and the belkin router, they use filtering provided by
    > Cerberian www.cerberian.com and it's bocking sites no others do, much
    > better. the linksys however has the parental control provided by netopia
    > www.netopia.com . it's ok, just in my opinion not as good filtering. you
    > just need a new router cus you will have to install software on his pc
    > that is parental control software. if the parents don't go to bad web
    > sites ever then the belkin is the best choice as cerberian is much
    > better at filtering. if parents might go to some places and want
    > unfiltered access then the linksys is a better choice being it has the
    > user accounts and you can see where each user goes and have time limits.
    >
    > if you'd like more info or to talk about this I'll be glad to help you

    Not to keep beating the Fortigate drum, but if you were to use one of those,
    you could buy a category filterering subscription. Then you could enable a
    policy with browser-based password authentication to bypass the filtering,
    and leave the unauthenticated traffic with the heavy duty filters on it,
    allowing different experiences from the same PC. Or if multiple PC's are
    involved, you can dispense with the authentication and just have differernt
    policies for the different IP's -- and you can bind MACs to IPs for
    security.

    Additionally you can see a list of the last bunch of sites visited by
    looking at the logging in the unit.

    However, it's not cheap like a linksys -- maybe $500 for the unit and $150
    or $200 annually for the category filtering. Similar amount annually for an
    AV/IPS/Greyway subscription if desired.

    -Russ.

  5. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    Somebody wrote:
> [...]

    >>out in anyway possible.

    > Not to keep beating the Fortigate drum, but if you were to use one of those,
    > you could buy a category filterering subscription. Then you could enable a
    > policy with browser-based password authentication to bypass the filtering,
    > and leave the unauthenticated traffic with the heavy duty filters on it,
    > allowing different experiences from the same PC. Or if multiple PC's are
    > involved, you can dispense with the authentication and just have differernt
    > policies for the different IP's -- and you can bind MACs to IPs for
    > security.
    >
    > Additionally you can see a list of the last bunch of sites visited by
    > looking at the logging in the unit.
    >
    > However, it's not cheap like a linksys -- maybe $500 for the unit and $150
    > or $200 annually for the category filtering. Similar amount annually for an

    And yet a cheaper colution is www.sonicwall.com . MUCH cheaper then most
    others and it does content filtering, logging, reporting, virus
    protection and intrusion protection etc.

  6. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    Somebody wrote:
> [...]

    >>out in anyway possible.

    > Not to keep beating the Fortigate drum, but if you were to use one of those,
    > you could buy a category filterering subscription. Then you could enable a
    > policy with browser-based password authentication to bypass the filtering,
    > and leave the unauthenticated traffic with the heavy duty filters on it,
    > allowing different experiences from the same PC. Or if multiple PC's are
    > involved, you can dispense with the authentication and just have differernt
    > policies for the different IP's -- and you can bind MACs to IPs for
    > security.
    >
    > Additionally you can see a list of the last bunch of sites visited by
    > looking at the logging in the unit.
    >
    > However, it's not cheap like a linksys -- maybe $500 for the unit and $150
    > or $200 annually for the category filtering. Similar amount annually for an

    Being similar to the sonicwall, I wonder what differentiates the two.
    other then sonicwlal being way cheaper.

  7. Re: Remote Monitoring of Web Access

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > Being similar to the sonicwall, I wonder what differentiates the two.
    > other then sonicwlal being way cheaper.

    My main questions would be:
    Is a sonicwall appliance based?
    What is the price of the entry level model and does it have per-seat fees or
    restrictions?
    What is the maximum performance level of the entry level model?

    And what is "way cheaper"? Cheaper than $500?

    I don't know the sonicwall product, but I've heard enough noise about it in
    the low end that I should probably bone up on it. The FortiGate goes all
    the way up to the enterprise space (multi-Gigabit) which is really where I
    spend my days, with the same firmware and basic configuration, so that's the
    one I know. That and NetScreen which also plays from the SOHO to the
    Enterprise level -- again using the same OS and configurations.

    Maybe a local SonicWall expert can chime in for us?

    -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread