need help with router freezing - Network

This is a discussion on need help with router freezing - Network ; I need some help please. I just got a brand new Zyxel Zywall 10w firewall device yesterday and since then it has lost internet connection twice by totally freezing the connection. i would just be downloading and bam, no more ...

  1. need help with router freezing

    I need some help please.
    I just got a brand new Zyxel Zywall 10w firewall device yesterday and
    since then it has lost internet connection twice by totally freezing the
    connection. i would just be downloading and bam, no more internet.
    logging into the router and telling it to restart fixes the issue for a
    short time then later bam, same thing happens. it's using the newest
    firmware with default settings. used to have last year a zywall 2x that
    never froze and my other belkin wireless router doesn't freeze ever.

    can anyone think of anything?

  2. Re: need help with router freezing

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > I need some help please.
    > I just got a brand new Zyxel Zywall 10w firewall device yesterday and
    > since then it has lost internet connection twice by totally freezing the
    > connection. i would just be downloading and bam, no more internet.
    > logging into the router and telling it to restart fixes the issue for a
    > short time then later bam, same thing happens. it's using the newest
    > firmware with default settings. used to have last year a zywall 2x that
    > never froze and my other belkin wireless router doesn't freeze ever.
    >
    > can anyone think of anything?

    Does it have a fan that has quit, or is it overheating?

    -Russ.

  3. Re: need help with router freezing

    Somebody wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >
    >>I need some help please.
    >>I just got a brand new Zyxel Zywall 10w firewall device yesterday and
    >>since then it has lost internet connection twice by totally freezing the
    >>connection. i would just be downloading and bam, no more internet.
    >>logging into the router and telling it to restart fixes the issue for a
    >>short time then later bam, same thing happens. it's using the newest
    >>firmware with default settings. used to have last year a zywall 2x that
    >>never froze and my other belkin wireless router doesn't freeze ever.
    >>
    >>can anyone think of anything?

    > Does it have a fan that has quit, or is it overheating?
    >
    > -Russ.

    No. Zyxel thinks it is an auto negotiation issue with the modem and the
    router and there's no way to fix it. so i have to send it back where i
    got it and look for another firewall appliance,

  4. Re: need help with router freezing

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > Somebody wrote:
    > > "Joe" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I need some help please.
    > >>I just got a brand new Zyxel Zywall 10w firewall device yesterday and
    > >>since then it has lost internet connection twice by totally freezing the
    > >>connection. i would just be downloading and bam, no more internet.
    > >>logging into the router and telling it to restart fixes the issue for a
    > >>short time then later bam, same thing happens. it's using the newest
    > >>firmware with default settings. used to have last year a zywall 2x that
    > >>never froze and my other belkin wireless router doesn't freeze ever.
    > >>
    > >>can anyone think of anything?

    > > Does it have a fan that has quit, or is it overheating?
    > >
    > > -Russ.
    > >

    > No. Zyxel thinks it is an auto negotiation issue with the modem and the
    > router and there's no way to fix it. so i have to send it back where i
    > got it and look for another firewall appliance,

    What's your price range?

    The FG50 is a pretty amazing little box but it might be too much for you.

    -Russ.

  5. Re: need help with router freezing

    Somebody wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >
    >>Somebody wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Joe" wrote in message

    >>>Does it have a fan that has quit, or is it overheating?
    >>>
    >>>-Russ.
    >>>

    >>No. Zyxel thinks it is an auto negotiation issue with the modem and the
    >>router and there's no way to fix it. so i have to send it back where i
    >>got it and look for another firewall appliance,

    > What's your price range?
    >
    > The FG50 is a pretty amazing little box but it might be too much for you.
    >
    > -Russ.

    What's FG50?
    I don't really think I could go more then $300 or so for the device.
    I've been looking at the sonicwall TZ150 and find the subscription
    pricing a lot of money. I just talked to a reseller of sonicwall and the
    price is cheaper then sonicwall directly I believe. they said they do
    the support and 9 out of 10 problems they can fix, if not then they send
    you to sonicwall directly. the problem i have is the device cost over
    $200 then for the gateway security subscriptions it's over $500 for all
    of them or it was a little more then $540 for the device and the
    subscriptions bundle, not sure.. they said basically yer paying for the
    box and the OS is just that, software as an OS just like windows or mac
    but for the firewall device only, they release new firmware with bug
    fixes and software enhancements and yer paying for being able to upgrade
    to a new OS. just like microsoft wants to do pretty much. also the
    content filtering subscription is also no different then any other cus
    yer paying for third party subscription for content filtering. so if you
    buy say the linksys wireless 802.11g with speed booster you have to pay
    a yearly subscription for parental control which in fact i think cost
    about the same or more then the content filtering from cerberian which
    is the CFS in sonicwall. Then there's the virus, same thing, you pay a
    yearly subscription of $70 or so which isn't horrible. It's a lot, but
    not horrible. consider it covers the whole network not just one or two
    pcs. it's done at the gateway, not just the pc, so it's even more
    secure. it auto updates etc. software you buy a new version every year
    as well and each year it cost about $40-$99 depending on what type of
    software you get, plus only covers 1 or 2 pcs. the IDP, i honestly have
    no idea about that one, but i know it does p2p blocking and thats what i
    want. in the firewall appliance the ability to just say block all p2p or
    at least most of it is awesome. then if someone on a local pc tries to
    install say kazaa and run it, it's not going to work I assume. it
    wouldn't connect. i don't know how good the IDP is. It's basically like
    to me, a device that you pay for the OS and for them to support you,
    just like windows xp or whatever if microsoft was doing the subscription
    or whatever they have talked about. the virus, same thing, the IDP same
    thing. the reporting viewpoint, well, don't know about that, but it
    sounds cool. so the firewall appliance is taking place of content
    filtering software, virus software and adding IDP and i think pretty
    cool reporting stuff. So the device covers the whole network and each pc
    would normally has to have software on them.

    I think it's fairly reasonable as long as it worked good.

  6. Re: need help with router freezing

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > What's FG50?

    Fortigate 50A -- firewall, VPN, antivirus, intrusion prvention, greyware,
    content filters etc. 1 box.

    > I don't really think I could go more then $300 or so for the device.

    It's out then, seems to me it's about $500US.

    > I've been looking at the sonicwall TZ150 and find the subscription
    > pricing a lot of money. I just talked to a reseller of sonicwall and the
    > price is cheaper then sonicwall directly I believe. they said they do
    > the support and 9 out of 10 problems they can fix, if not then they send
    > you to sonicwall directly. the problem i have is the device cost over
    > $200 then for the gateway security subscriptions it's over $500 for all
    > of them or it was a little more then $540 for the device and the
    > subscriptions bundle, not sure.. they said basically yer paying for the
    > box and the OS is just that, software as an OS just like windows or mac
    > but for the firewall device only, they release new firmware with bug
    > fixes and software enhancements and yer paying for being able to upgrade
    > to a new OS. just like microsoft wants to do pretty much. also the
    > content filtering subscription is also no different then any other cus
    > yer paying for third party subscription for content filtering. so if you
    > buy say the linksys wireless 802.11g with speed booster you have to pay
    > a yearly subscription for parental control which in fact i think cost
    > about the same or more then the content filtering from cerberian which
    > is the CFS in sonicwall. Then there's the virus, same thing, you pay a
    > yearly subscription of $70 or so which isn't horrible. It's a lot, but
    > not horrible. consider it covers the whole network not just one or two
    > pcs. it's done at the gateway, not just the pc, so it's even more
    > secure. it auto updates etc. software you buy a new version every year
    > as well and each year it cost about $40-$99 depending on what type of
    > software you get, plus only covers 1 or 2 pcs. the IDP, i honestly have
    > no idea about that one, but i know it does p2p blocking and thats what i
    > want. in the firewall appliance the ability to just say block all p2p or
    > at least most of it is awesome. then if someone on a local pc tries to
    > install say kazaa and run it, it's not going to work I assume. it
    > wouldn't connect. i don't know how good the IDP is. It's basically like
    > to me, a device that you pay for the OS and for them to support you,
    > just like windows xp or whatever if microsoft was doing the subscription
    > or whatever they have talked about. the virus, same thing, the IDP same
    > thing. the reporting viewpoint, well, don't know about that, but it
    > sounds cool. so the firewall appliance is taking place of content
    > filtering software, virus software and adding IDP and i think pretty
    > cool reporting stuff. So the device covers the whole network and each pc
    > would normally has to have software on them.
    >
    > I think it's fairly reasonable as long as it worked good.

    I'd be interested to hear how the sonicwall turns out for you. Fortigate
    plays in much bigger spaces -- the same OS as the FG50A runs on their
    biggest boxes at Gigabit speeds in front of large Enterprises and big
    universities. It's proven, heavy duty stuff. Subscriptions are 25% of list
    for 1 year for everything but category filters (websense type filtering).
    If you look at what it really is, $500 is an incredible bargain, but it's a
    bit out of reach of what most small shops feel they want to spend. But for
    hardware-based scanning firewall box that is an appliance, not a PC with
    software on it, it's a bargain really.

    -Russ.

  7. Re: need help with router freezing

    Somebody wrote:
> [...]

    >>filtering software, virus software and adding IDP and i think pretty
    >>cool reporting stuff. So the device covers the whole network and each pc
    >>would normally has to have software on them.
    >>
    >>I think it's fairly reasonable as long as it worked good.

    > I'd be interested to hear how the sonicwall turns out for you. Fortigate
    > plays in much bigger spaces -- the same OS as the FG50A runs on their
    > biggest boxes at Gigabit speeds in front of large Enterprises and big
    > universities. It's proven, heavy duty stuff. Subscriptions are 25% of list
    > for 1 year for everything but category filters (websense type filtering).
    > If you look at what it really is, $500 is an incredible bargain, but it's a
    > bit out of reach of what most small shops feel they want to spend. But for
    > hardware-based scanning firewall box that is an appliance, not a PC with

    I've never even heard of them.

    Umm, The more I read pdf documents and look at web pages at
    sonicwall.com and sonicguard.com for the IDP and stuff the more
    interested I am becomming in the TZ150. We'll just have to see how it
    works for me.

  8. Re: need help with router freezing

    Somebody wrote:
> [...]

    >>filtering software, virus software and adding IDP and i think pretty
    >>cool reporting stuff. So the device covers the whole network and each pc
    >>would normally has to have software on them.
    >>
    >>I think it's fairly reasonable as long as it worked good.

    > I'd be interested to hear how the sonicwall turns out for you. Fortigate
    > plays in much bigger spaces -- the same OS as the FG50A runs on their
    > biggest boxes at Gigabit speeds in front of large Enterprises and big
    > universities. It's proven, heavy duty stuff. Subscriptions are 25% of list
    > for 1 year for everything but category filters (websense type filtering).
    > If you look at what it really is, $500 is an incredible bargain, but it's a
    > bit out of reach of what most small shops feel they want to spend. But for
    > hardware-based scanning firewall box that is an appliance, not a PC with

    I looked at the admin demo for the fortigate. I like it. It's clean and
    nice looking, but shows you no download statistics like bytes downloaded
    and stuff. I went through every link in the demo too and could not find
    this info.

+ Reply to Thread