Can't Login To My FTP Server - Network

This is a discussion on Can't Login To My FTP Server - Network ; Hello, I realize this may take a few posts. I'll post what I think you need, and more as asked. I have a computer running Win XP Pro. It connects to a Linksys 4 port router (NR041) via ethernet. The ...

  1. Can't Login To My FTP Server

    Hello,

    I realize this may take a few posts. I'll post what I think you need, and
    more as asked.

    I have a computer running Win XP Pro.

    It connects to a Linksys 4 port router (NR041) via ethernet.

    The router connects (through the correct port) to a cable modem.

    The LAN side of the router is 192.168.1.1.

    The WAN side is my DHCP configured IP.

    I can use the Internet, ping, FTP, and all seems well.

    I am running an FTP server on the Windows machine - port 21.

    I set up forwarding in the router's configuration utlity for FTP. I have:

    EXT PORT: 21
    PROTOCOL TCP: Ticked/Enabled
    INT PORT: 20
    IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.2, (which is the Windows machine's IP
    ENABLE: Ticked

    I have Windows firewall off.

    I have no other firewall/security software running.

    I can log in locally fine.

    When one outside attempts to log in, they never get connected. They get a
    connect, but it never gets to the password stage. I can't remember the
    message they get. Anyone who wants to try it can try it at: 69.143.157.225
    l/p tester/tester.

    Tried enabling/disabling passive mode.

    Don't know what I left out.

    Why can no one get through?

    Babs

  2. Re: Can't Login To My FTP Server

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:34:05 -0500, Barbara wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I realize this may take a few posts. I'll post what I think you need, and
    > more as asked.
    >
    > I have a computer running Win XP Pro.
    >
    > It connects to a Linksys 4 port router (NR041) via ethernet.
    >
    > The router connects (through the correct port) to a cable modem.
    >
    > The LAN side of the router is 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > The WAN side is my DHCP configured IP.
    >
    > I can use the Internet, ping, FTP, and all seems well.
    >
    > I am running an FTP server on the Windows machine - port 21.
    >
    > I set up forwarding in the router's configuration utlity for FTP. I have:
    >
    > EXT PORT: 21
    > PROTOCOL TCP: Ticked/Enabled
    > INT PORT: 20
    > IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.2, (which is the Windows machine's IP
    > ENABLE: Ticked
    >
    > I have Windows firewall off.
    >
    > I have no other firewall/security software running.
    >
    > I can log in locally fine.
    >
    > When one outside attempts to log in, they never get connected. They get a
    > connect, but it never gets to the password stage. I can't remember the
    > message they get. Anyone who wants to try it can try it at: 69.143.157.225
    > l/p tester/tester.
    >
    > Tried enabling/disabling passive mode.
    >
    > Don't know what I left out.
    >
    > Why can no one get through?
    >
    > Babs

    Have you checked the directory security?

  3. Re: Can't Login To My FTP Server

    "Barbara" wrote in message
    newsLWdndNNY-g88HjcRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I realize this may take a few posts. I'll post what I think you need, and
    > more as asked.
    >
    > I have a computer running Win XP Pro.
    >
    > It connects to a Linksys 4 port router (NR041) via ethernet.
    >
    > The router connects (through the correct port) to a cable modem.
    >
    > The LAN side of the router is 192.168.1.1.
    >
    > The WAN side is my DHCP configured IP.
    >
    > I can use the Internet, ping, FTP, and all seems well.
    >
    > I am running an FTP server on the Windows machine - port 21.
    >
    > I set up forwarding in the router's configuration utlity for FTP. I have:
    >
    > EXT PORT: 21
    > PROTOCOL TCP: Ticked/Enabled
    > INT PORT: 20
    > IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.2, (which is the Windows machine's IP
    > ENABLE: Ticked

    You can't translate the port coming in, both the internal and external ports
    should be 21. You are sending the control requests to your XP box on port
    20, which it is merrily ignoring.

    You should also try logging in from your local lan, from another computer
    that does not have any accounts or workgroup credentials in common with the
    FTP server. If it turns out that your server is not serving, you can ask a
    thousand questions here and never succeed. Logging in locally proves only
    that the service is running, not that XP is configured to allow people to
    use it.

    -Russ.

  4. Re: Can't Login To My FTP Server

    Can you please break this down into more sentences?

    I don't understand the incoming and outgoing ports. If you look here,
    http://www.pcsbaltimore.com/forward.jpg, I put up a screen shot of my
    router's forwarding configuration - which is default and supposed to allow
    FTP traffic. What should I change there?

    I am running a third party FTP server. I have logged in successfully from my
    LAN from a plain workstation. Also, as far as I know, XP is configured to
    allow FTP serving. Can you be more specific in where to check and for what
    on that end? The server is serving fine and this used to work when I was
    connected directly to the net. I must be missing something simple.

    Also, a big side note - ONE person DID login successfully during this whole
    thing - and I've made no changes which might have let him in temporarily.
    Here is a file he uploaded:

    BEGIN LOG

    Here's a copy of the messages I see in my FTP program "Filezilla". It may
    help you.

    Response: 220-Serv-U FTP Server v4.0 for WinSock ready...
    Response: 220-************************************************** *
    Response: 220-**************** WARNING *******************
    Response: 220-************************************************** *
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-YOU ARE CONNECTED TO A PRIVATE FILE SERVER!
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-This is a private computer system. This computer
    Response: 220-system, including all related equipment, networks
    Response: 220-and network devices (specifically including internet
    Response: 220-access), are provided only for authorized use.
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-These computer systems may be monitored for all
    Response: 220-lawful purposes, including to ensure that their
    Response: 220-use is authorized, for management of the system,
    Response: 220-to facilitate protection against unauthorized access,
    Response: 220-and to verify security procedures, survivability
    Response: 220-and operational security. Monitoring includes
    Response: 220-active attacks by authorized entities to test
    Response: 220-or verify the security of this system. During
    Response: 220-monitoring, information may be examined, recorded,
    Response: 220-copied and used for authorized purposes.
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-All information, including personal information,
    Response: 220-placed on or sent over this system may be monitored.
    Response: 220-Use of this computer system, authorized or
    Response: 220-unauthorized, constitutes consent to monitoring
    Response: 220-of this system.
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal
    Response: 220-prosecution. Evidence of unauthorized use collected
    Response: 220-during monitoring may be used for administrative,
    Response: 220-criminal or other adverse action. Use of this
    Response: 220-system constitutes consent to monitoring for
    Response: 220-these purposes.
    Response: 220-
    Response:
    220-..::~~^^~~::..__..::~~^^~~::..__..::~~^^~~::..__.. ::~~^^~~::..__
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-Current server up time is: 2 days, 8 hours,
    Response: 220-54 minutes, 56 seconds.
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-A total of 17 users have been served with 0 Kb
    Response: 220-downloaded in 0 files, & 0 Kb uploaded
    Response: 220-in 0 files.
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-Date: Wednesday 12 January, 2005
    Response: 220-Time: 00:59:47
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220-email:jackson506@juno.com
    Response: 220-
    Response: 220
    ...::~~^^~~::..__..::~~^^~~::..__..::~~^^~~::..__. .::~~^^~~::..__
    Command: USER tester
    Response: 331 User name okay, need password.
    Command: PASS ******
    Response: 230 User logged in, proceed.
    Command: FEAT
    Response: 211-Extension supported
    Response: MDTM
    Response: SIZE
    Response: SITE PSWD;EXEC;SET;INDEX;ZONE;CHMOD;MSG
    Response: REST STREAM
    Response: 211 End
    Command: SYST
    Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    Command: PORT 10,59,1,45,19,152
    Response: 200 PORT Command successful.
    Command: TYPE A
    Response: 200 Type set to A.
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
    Response: 226 Transfer complete.
    Command: CWD you're in!
    Response: 250 Directory changed to /you're in!
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/you're in!" is current directory.
    Command: PORT 10,59,1,45,19,215
    Response: 200 PORT Command successful.
    Command: TYPE A
    Response: 200 Type set to A.
    Command: LIST
    Response: 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
    Response: 226 Transfer complete.
    Command: PWD
    Response: 257 "/you're in!" is current directory.
    Command: TYPE A
    Response: 200 Type set to A.

    Here's the site for Fillzilla. They have both a FTP server, which I use, and
    a FTP client which I am using to access your site.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

    Good luck with the debuging.

    Regards;

    Leland C. Scott
    kc8ldo@arrl.net
    lscott130088mi@comcast.net
    lscott@inductoheat.com

    END LOG

    Babs

    "Somebody" wrote in message

    > "Barbara" wrote in message
    > newsLWdndNNY-g88HjcRVn-3w@comcast.com...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I realize this may take a few posts. I'll post what I think you need, and
    >> more as asked.
    >>
    >> I have a computer running Win XP Pro.
    >>
    >> It connects to a Linksys 4 port router (NR041) via ethernet.
    >>
    >> The router connects (through the correct port) to a cable modem.
    >>
    >> The LAN side of the router is 192.168.1.1.
    >>
    >> The WAN side is my DHCP configured IP.
    >>
    >> I can use the Internet, ping, FTP, and all seems well.
    >>
    >> I am running an FTP server on the Windows machine - port 21.
    >>
    >> I set up forwarding in the router's configuration utlity for FTP. I have:
    >>
    >> EXT PORT: 21
    >> PROTOCOL TCP: Ticked/Enabled
    >> INT PORT: 20
    >> IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.2, (which is the Windows machine's IP
    >> ENABLE: Ticked

    > You can't translate the port coming in, both the internal and external
    > ports
    > should be 21. You are sending the control requests to your XP box on port
    > 20, which it is merrily ignoring.
    >
    > You should also try logging in from your local lan, from another computer
    > that does not have any accounts or workgroup credentials in common with
    > the
    > FTP server. If it turns out that your server is not serving, you can ask
    > thousand questions here and never succeed. Logging in locally proves only
    > that the service is running, not that XP is configured to allow people to
    > use it.
    >
    > -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread