Home users connecting via the Internet - Network

This is a discussion on Home users connecting via the Internet - Network ; Hi, I'm wondering what you all would consider the best way to connect to our office network via the Internet over Broadband.....? Our firewall is CheckPoint Firewall-1, and I know there are a number of different ways of doing it.... ...

  1. Home users connecting via the Internet

    Hi,

    I'm wondering what you all would consider the best way to connect to our
    office network via the Internet over Broadband.....?

    Our firewall is CheckPoint Firewall-1, and I know there are a number of
    different ways of doing it.... The type of apps the user would be accessing
    are Terminal Server and Email (they could do that via TS if they wanted..)

    Any pointers would be very welcome...

    Thanks
    Colin

  2. Re: Home users connecting via the Internet

    "Colin A" wrote in message
    news:412b3b1d$0$20254$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex. net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm wondering what you all would consider the best way to connect to our
    > office network via the Internet over Broadband.....?
    >
    > Our firewall is CheckPoint Firewall-1, and I know there are a number of
    > different ways of doing it.... The type of apps the user would be

    accessing
    > are Terminal Server and Email (they could do that via TS if they wanted..)
    >
    > Any pointers would be very welcome...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Colin

    The easiest way from a technical standpoint is to expose Terminal Server to
    an your outside IP by mapping port 3289. You better be sure your TS box is
    patched and you have good authentication though, and makes sure you have
    your server and clients set up to encrypt the connection. If you want some
    further security you can actually configure the clients to report a custom
    version number, and then set the server to accept connections for this
    version number only, there's a MS KB on this. Then you can configure the
    server, client, and firewall to connect on another port than the standard.
    Do all these things and you're pretty darn safe. You can't beat TS for easy
    remote connects though. Do you email through it too. What it won't give
    you is file access, you can either mail files in and out via personal email
    accounts or apply the MS TS clipboard patch to let you cut and paste more
    than just text -- a bit flakey but sometimes works.

    -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread