Too much data being uploaded - Network

This is a discussion on Too much data being uploaded - Network ; I had a massive problem with a fresh reinstall on a brand new 80Gb HDD. Windows would start and it would automatically connect to the net, and when I right clicked on the flashing icon in the bottom right hand ...

  1. Too much data being uploaded

    I had a massive problem with a fresh reinstall on a brand new 80Gb HDD.

    Windows would start and it would automatically connect to the net, and when
    I right clicked on the flashing icon in the bottom right hand corner it had
    uploaded 5mb data in 6 minutes. To make things worse it had blocked of any
    data I wanted , so any URLs emails etc came as page not found.

    I did a scan with norton and trend antivirus, nothing detected. I have zone
    labs firewall, nothing detected.
    In the windows task manager I had no suspicious applications running.

    I format the hard drive and the same thing happens after a day.

    I format this time writing 0s to the hard drive and everything is ok. I have
    windows XP with service pack 2, and a local direct cable LAN. I have Zone
    alarm.

    When I downloaded msn messenger 6.2 I noticed that there was a lot of data
    being uploaded and my zonealarm program kept on asking permission for
    msnmsgr.exe to use the connection. A lot of the sites I was trying to
    access didnt work.
    I also have java web start installed as some of the sites I need dont work
    without it.

    I also had Ares installed but it wasnt running.
    I did a system restore back to when the system was running fine.

    Can anyone tell me whats going on?

    Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and who
    is reponsible?

  2. Re: Too much data being uploaded

    In article <4122623f$0$20249$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
    "Aosmosis" no@smap.com says...

    > Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and who
    > is reponsible?

    netstat (command line) will show all established network connections
    with destination.

  3. Re: Too much data being uploaded

    "Aosmosis" wrote in message
    > I had a massive problem with a fresh reinstall on a brand new 80Gb HDD.
    >
    > Windows would start and it would automatically connect to the net, and

    when
    > I right clicked on the flashing icon in the bottom right hand corner it

    had
    > uploaded 5mb data in 6 minutes. To make things worse it had blocked of any
    > data I wanted , so any URLs emails etc came as page not found.
    >
    > I did a scan with norton and trend antivirus, nothing detected. I have

    zone
    > labs firewall, nothing detected.
    > In the windows task manager I had no suspicious applications running.
    >
    > I format the hard drive and the same thing happens after a day.
    >
    > I format this time writing 0s to the hard drive and everything is ok. I

    have
    > windows XP with service pack 2, and a local direct cable LAN. I have Zone
    > alarm.
    >
    > When I downloaded msn messenger 6.2 I noticed that there was a lot of data
    > being uploaded and my zonealarm program kept on asking permission for
    > msnmsgr.exe to use the connection. A lot of the sites I was trying to
    > access didnt work.
    > I also have java web start installed as some of the sites I need dont work
    > without it.
    >
    > I also had Ares installed but it wasnt running.
    > I did a system restore back to when the system was running fine.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me whats going on?
    >
    > Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and

    who
    > is reponsible?

    Wild guess: (cough) Blaster (cough)

    You *did* fully update before getting into MSN, didn't you..? (Not being
    specific about Blaster, but there are a number of viruses out there.. most
    of which are blocked by applying the updates *before* connecting to "other"
    'Net services..)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

  4. Re: Too much data being uploaded

    "Hairy One Kenobi" wrote in message
    > "Aosmosis" wrote in message
    >> I had a massive problem with a fresh reinstall on a brand new 80Gb HDD.
    >>
    >> Windows would start and it would automatically connect to the net, and

    > when
    >> I right clicked on the flashing icon in the bottom right hand corner it

    > had
    >> uploaded 5mb data in 6 minutes. To make things worse it had blocked of
    >> any
    >> data I wanted , so any URLs emails etc came as page not found.
    >>
    >> I did a scan with norton and trend antivirus, nothing detected. I have

    > zone
    >> labs firewall, nothing detected.
    >> In the windows task manager I had no suspicious applications running.
    >>
    >> I format the hard drive and the same thing happens after a day.
    >>
    >> I format this time writing 0s to the hard drive and everything is ok. I

    > have
    >> windows XP with service pack 2, and a local direct cable LAN. I have Zone
    >> alarm.
    >>
    >> When I downloaded msn messenger 6.2 I noticed that there was a lot of
    >> data
    >> being uploaded and my zonealarm program kept on asking permission for
    >> msnmsgr.exe to use the connection. A lot of the sites I was trying to
    >> access didnt work.
    >> I also have java web start installed as some of the sites I need dont
    >> work
    >> without it.
    >>
    >> I also had Ares installed but it wasnt running.
    >> I did a system restore back to when the system was running fine.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me whats going on?
    >>
    >> Is there a program that tells you where this uploaded data is going and

    > who
    >> is reponsible?

    > Wild guess: (cough) Blaster (cough)
    >
    > You *did* fully update before getting into MSN, didn't you..? (Not being
    > specific about Blaster, but there are a number of viruses out there.. most
    > of which are blocked by applying the updates *before* connecting to
    > "other"
    > 'Net services..)

    I had service pack 2 intergrated into the win XP setup program so when I
    installed win XP it would automatically apply all the updates.
    This is where it starts to get interesting.
    The Antivirus programs I used were Norton, Sophos, nothing detected.
    I went to this site ihttp://www.ravantivirus.com/ after reading a google
    post and it picked up the following

    C:\Documents and Settings\a\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{04C09266-D5CA-493B-8B52-C53243EEC5DC}\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\Deleted Items.dbx->Message.16: ( [Returned mail: Data format
    error])->(part0002:message.zip)->message.scr - Win32/Mydoom.L@mm -> Infected

    D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-299502267-1993962763-1957994488-1003\De8\Inbox.dbx->Message.1074:
    ("peterstaveley" [Eager to see you])->(part0002:HILL CO.exe) -
    Win32/Klez.H@mm -> Infected

    Scanned

    ============================

    Objects: 17313

    Directories: 1423

    Archives: 1010

    Size(Kb): 638188

    Infected files: 12

    Found

    ============================

    Viruses found: 6

    Suspicious files: 0

    Disinfected files: 0

    Mail files: 37958

    Why did this program detect the virus in store files but not any registry
    changes. To add insult to injury they no longer offer software having been
    aquired by M$

    Question I am not faced with

    1) How do I get rid of the dam thing including all reg changes

    2) What is the best antivirus program, clearly Norton and Sophos didnt do a
    good job

    The odd thing was I did have firewall and antivirus programs before...

+ Reply to Thread