Firewall with wireless router? - Network

This is a discussion on Firewall with wireless router? - Network ; I am currently sharing an internet connection between 4 computers in my house using a Linksys wireless-g broadband router. I'm not sharing anything else and don't have Internet Connection Sharing or ICF enabled in Windows XP (running XP Home). The ...

  1. Firewall with wireless router?

    I am currently sharing an internet connection between 4 computers in my
    house using a Linksys wireless-g broadband router. I'm not sharing anything
    else and don't have Internet Connection Sharing or ICF enabled in Windows XP
    (running XP Home).

    The firewall in the Linksys router is enabled, but I'm getting lots of
    spyware. Do I need another firewall? If so, is there one I can use in
    conjunction with the router?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Firewall with wireless router?

    "Chris Eilersen" wrote in message
    > I am currently sharing an internet connection between 4 computers in my
    > house using a Linksys wireless-g broadband router. I'm not sharing

    anything
    > else and don't have Internet Connection Sharing or ICF enabled in Windows

    XP
    > (running XP Home).
    >
    > The firewall in the Linksys router is enabled, but I'm getting lots of
    > spyware. Do I need another firewall? If so, is there one I can use in
    > conjunction with the router?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you want a very serious solution, get a Fortigate unit. It has a full
    firewall, Antivirus, Inrustion Prevention System, GreyWare protection, even
    a spam filter and web blocking for the kiddies, all in one unit. More
    expensive than a Linksys for sure, but far more advanced. You could just get
    a FGT-50A and put it in front of your router, just make sure that the pppoe
    is being initiated by the Fortigate and your router is set to dhcp outside
    interface. Or, you could set your router to bridge mode and let the FG be
    your gateway which is how I would set it up.

    A Linksys will do nothing about spyware.

    Note that you can't use a FGT-50 for this -- they're obsolete and will not
    run the newest firmware that contains the greyware protections. Must be a
    FGT-50A or better.

    http://www.fortinet.com

    -Russ.

  3. Re: Firewall with wireless router?

    I checked out the 50-A looks good, thanks for the link.
    What would be a rounded out price range for that thing roughly?

    Max
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sactownbooster
    http://home.surewest.net/mailmax/index.htm
    ~~

    "Somebody" wrote in message news:ztJTc.49761$vO1.252393@nnrp1.uunet.ca...

    > "Chris Eilersen" wrote in message
    > > I am currently sharing an internet connection between 4 computers in my
    > > house using a Linksys wireless-g broadband router. I'm not sharing

    > anything
    > > else and don't have Internet Connection Sharing or ICF enabled in Windows

    > XP
    > > (running XP Home).
    > >
    > > The firewall in the Linksys router is enabled, but I'm getting lots of
    > > spyware. Do I need another firewall? If so, is there one I can use in
    > > conjunction with the router?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > If you want a very serious solution, get a Fortigate unit. It has a full
    > firewall, Antivirus, Inrustion Prevention System, GreyWare protection, even
    > a spam filter and web blocking for the kiddies, all in one unit. More
    > expensive than a Linksys for sure, but far more advanced. You could just get
    > a FGT-50A and put it in front of your router, just make sure that the pppoe
    > is being initiated by the Fortigate and your router is set to dhcp outside
    > interface. Or, you could set your router to bridge mode and let the FG be
    > your gateway which is how I would set it up.
    >
    > A Linksys will do nothing about spyware.
    >
    > Note that you can't use a FGT-50 for this -- they're obsolete and will not
    > run the newest firmware that contains the greyware protections. Must be a
    > FGT-50A or better.
    >
    > http://www.fortinet.com
    >

    > -Russ.

  4. Re: Firewall with wireless router?

    "P. Maxson" wrote in message

    > I checked out the 50-A looks good, thanks for the link.
    > What would be a rounded out price range for that thing roughly?

    Not sure about US prices. We sell them for $795 CAD, I imagine they're
    around $500 US, give or take.

    AV/IPS/Tech Support/Firmware subscriptions are 25% for 1 year, 45% for 2,
    60% for 3. No per-node charges for AV.

    -Russ.

+ Reply to Thread