Simple Question - Network

This is a discussion on Simple Question - Network ; Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and then ...

  1. Simple Question

    Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
    need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
    network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
    then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??

    - Don't want to buy switch if this doesn't work.....

    Thanks

  2. Re: Simple Question

    Check doc that comes with the switch, but the port next to the uplink
    connection, may or may not work.
    my2cents.

    --
    please reply to bargerw NO @ SPAM bellsouth.net and remove the NOSPAM

    "John Carroll" <'DeletethisBit'NIPHARMACY-MAIL@DeleteThisAlsoYAHOO.CO.UK>
    wrote in message news:7jv1n2p0oo2059jcgm2mqklgligtg4acis@4ax.com...
    > Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
    > need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
    > network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
    > then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??
    >
    > - Don't want to buy switch if this doesn't work.....
    >

    > Thanks

  3. Re: Simple Question

    John Carroll wrote:
    > Simple Question - I have a modemn/router with 4 ethernet ports but now
    > need to connect FIVE ethernet cables - extra wired PC added to
    > network. Can I just connect the 5 ethernet cables to a switch box and
    > then connect the switch to the existing modem/router??
    >
    > - Don't want to buy switch if this doesn't work.....
    >

    > Thanks

    Yes that would work, but if you hook the computers that talk to each
    other the most on the same box and others on the other box, probably the
    network will work a bit better.
    gr

+ Reply to Thread