Ethernet cabling in a condo - Network

This is a discussion on Ethernet cabling in a condo - Network ; We may buy a condo which is still under construction. Before we buy it, I may have them install cat5e ethernet beteween the living room and two bedrooms. Does anyone know of a site which has suggestions for the port/cabling ...

  1. Ethernet cabling in a condo

    We may buy a condo which is still under construction.

    Before we buy it, I may have them install cat5e ethernet beteween the
    living room and two bedrooms. Does anyone know of a site which has
    suggestions for the port/cabling configurations?

    I'd like two adjacent ethernet ports in each room, which are connected to
    the same port in the other rooms. (port1->port1->port1, and port2->port2->
    port2) Can this be done without a hub?

    I appreciate any advice.
    PD
    silver_surfer15ATyahoo.com

  2. Re: Ethernet cabling in a condo

    Before they close the walls, install all your low voltage wiring. You can
    use wireless, but Ethernet is more reliable and a better option in a
    high-density building like a condo.

    Place coax and cat-5 in each room. I'd place a phone line in each room
    also. You might even put outlets on multiple walls if you're not positive
    about how your furniture will be arranged. Think about where your router
    will be located, it will need cable and/or DSL connectivity as well as
    cat-5. This is all pretty cheap (and much better) if done during
    construction. Do the work concurrently with, or just after the house
    electrical is run.

    LT

    "homerjay" wrote in message
    > We may buy a condo which is still under construction.
    >
    > Before we buy it, I may have them install cat5e ethernet beteween the
    > living room and two bedrooms. Does anyone know of a site which has
    > suggestions for the port/cabling configurations?
    >
    > I'd like two adjacent ethernet ports in each room, which are connected to
    > the same port in the other rooms. (port1->port1->port1, and port2->port2->
    > port2) Can this be done without a hub?
    >
    > I appreciate any advice.
    > PD
    > silver_surfer15ATyahoo.com

  3. Re: Ethernet cabling in a condo

    Very good. Thanks!

    "LT" wrote in

    > Before they close the walls, install all your low voltage wiring. You
    > can use wireless, but Ethernet is more reliable and a better option in
    > a high-density building like a condo.
    >
    > Place coax and cat-5 in each room. I'd place a phone line in each
    > room also. You might even put outlets on multiple walls if you're not
    > positive about how your furniture will be arranged. Think about where
    > your router will be located, it will need cable and/or DSL
    > connectivity as well as cat-5. This is all pretty cheap (and much
    > better) if done during construction. Do the work concurrently with,
    > or just after the house electrical is run.
    >
    > LT
    >

    > "homerjay" wrote in message
    >> We may buy a condo which is still under construction.
    >>
    >> Before we buy it, I may have them install cat5e ethernet beteween the
    >> living room and two bedrooms. Does anyone know of a site which has
    >> suggestions for the port/cabling configurations?
    >>
    >> I'd like two adjacent ethernet ports in each room, which are
    >> connected to the same port in the other rooms. (port1->port1->port1,
    >> and port2->port2-> port2) Can this be done without a hub?
    >>
    >> I appreciate any advice.
    >> PD
    >> silver_surfer15ATyahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread