WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions. - Network

This is a discussion on WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions. - Network ; Hi Folks: A google of groups named *network* and a topic of "wifi security" came up empty. So I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death. I was told long ago that 802.11g encryption was broken. I've heard stories ...

  1. WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions.

    Hi Folks:

    A google of groups named *network* and a topic of "wifi
    security" came up empty. So I'm sorry if this has been
    discussed to death.

    I was told long ago that 802.11g encryption was broken.

    I've heard stories since then that re-enforce that info,
    even for newer security schemes.

    Are my concerns justified? Or should I be comfortable
    replacing my ethernet router, which currently connects three
    Windows PCs and a PC running Solaris, with an 802.11g router?

    Is there a particular alphabet soup I should be looking
    for as far as supported encryption goes? Like WEP? Is there
    any advantage, if it can be done, to run SSL on the LAN? I'm
    not currently using that on my ethernet LAN.

    I have one of those home Linksys router/NAT/Firewall/hubs
    that's been doing a good job protecting my home network. I
    want to protect computers I use for development and online
    gaming.

    My laptop is an HP Pavilion ZV5000, specifically a
    zv5120us, with a Broadcom 80211b/g WLAN. I might have one
    other computer connected through Wifi, but I'd have to get
    a PCMCIA card for that.

    With 802.11n coming I'd like to go cheap with the 802.11g
    router and Fry's has a Netgear wrg614 for $40.00. This router
    also has 4 Ethernet ports.

    Bestbuy has the Linksys WRT54G on sale for 49.99 and
    Newegg has it for 39.99 after mail in rebate. Reviews on
    Newegg for this product range from "Total Junk" and "Please
    don't get this router" to "Works well". 73% "Excellent"
    or "Good", 23% "Poor" to "Very poor".

    The WRT54GL, $59.99 at newegg with mail in rebate, seems
    to be much better received. 93% "Excellent" or "Good" and
    5% "Poor" or "Very poor".

    Can you recommend an inexpensive wifi router?

    My ISP is Comcast.

    If wifi is vulnerable, is there a method for isolating
    my ethernet LAN from entruders coming in through the wifi?

    I'm wondering about plugging my existing router into
    one of the ethernet plugs on the 802.11g router, and the
    WIFI router into the cable modem. This sounds like it
    would offer a firewall between the current LAN and the
    WIFI, but I don't know if passing through two routers
    would be bad for my ethernet's access to the web, which
    includes online gaming.

    An alternative is plugging the cable modem to a hub and
    my current ethernet router and new Wifi router plugged into
    that hub. Comcast is going to want another $5.00 per month
    if it is looking at 2 MAC addresses.

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Thanks
    Larry

  2. Re: WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions.

    WiFi with WPA encryption is secure. This presumes you use a good
    passphrase (long and containing sequences which are not dictionary
    sequences). Any encryption using passphrases is subject to a dictionary
    attack.

    The linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS series were good until version 5, when
    linksys lowered the memory and started using vxworks instead of linux.
    The WRT54GL is the better choice as you can still use third party
    firmware like dd-wrt.

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > A google of groups named *network* and a topic of "wifi
    > security" came up empty. So I'm sorry if this has been
    > discussed to death.
    >
    > I was told long ago that 802.11g encryption was broken.
    >
    > I've heard stories since then that re-enforce that info,
    > even for newer security schemes.
    >
    > Are my concerns justified? Or should I be comfortable
    > replacing my ethernet router, which currently connects three
    > Windows PCs and a PC running Solaris, with an 802.11g router?
    >
    > Is there a particular alphabet soup I should be looking
    > for as far as supported encryption goes? Like WEP? Is there
    > any advantage, if it can be done, to run SSL on the LAN? I'm
    > not currently using that on my ethernet LAN.
    >
    > I have one of those home Linksys router/NAT/Firewall/hubs
    > that's been doing a good job protecting my home network. I
    > want to protect computers I use for development and online
    > gaming.
    >
    > My laptop is an HP Pavilion ZV5000, specifically a
    > zv5120us, with a Broadcom 80211b/g WLAN. I might have one
    > other computer connected through Wifi, but I'd have to get
    > a PCMCIA card for that.
    >
    > With 802.11n coming I'd like to go cheap with the 802.11g
    > router and Fry's has a Netgear wrg614 for $40.00. This router
    > also has 4 Ethernet ports.
    >
    > Bestbuy has the Linksys WRT54G on sale for 49.99 and
    > Newegg has it for 39.99 after mail in rebate. Reviews on
    > Newegg for this product range from "Total Junk" and "Please
    > don't get this router" to "Works well". 73% "Excellent"
    > or "Good", 23% "Poor" to "Very poor".
    >
    > The WRT54GL, $59.99 at newegg with mail in rebate, seems
    > to be much better received. 93% "Excellent" or "Good" and
    > 5% "Poor" or "Very poor".
    >
    > Can you recommend an inexpensive wifi router?
    >
    > My ISP is Comcast.
    >
    > If wifi is vulnerable, is there a method for isolating
    > my ethernet LAN from entruders coming in through the wifi?
    >
    > I'm wondering about plugging my existing router into
    > one of the ethernet plugs on the 802.11g router, and the
    > WIFI router into the cable modem. This sounds like it
    > would offer a firewall between the current LAN and the
    > WIFI, but I don't know if passing through two routers
    > would be bad for my ethernet's access to the web, which
    > includes online gaming.
    >
    > An alternative is plugging the cable modem to a hub and
    > my current ethernet router and new Wifi router plugged into
    > that hub. Comcast is going to want another $5.00 per month
    > if it is looking at 2 MAC addresses.
    >
    > Any suggestions are appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Larry

  3. Re: WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions.

    Jerry Park wrote:
    > WiFi with WPA encryption is secure. This presumes you use a good
    > passphrase (long and containing sequences which are not dictionary
    > sequences). Any encryption using passphrases is subject to a dictionary
    > attack.
    >
    > The linksys WRT54G/WRT54GS series were good until version 5, when
    > linksys lowered the memory and started using vxworks instead of linux.
    > The WRT54GL is the better choice as you can still use third party
    > firmware like dd-wrt.

    Thanks Jerry:

    I appreciate the reviews, and your suggestion, recommending the
    WRT54GL. It's twice the price, after rebates, but I think it's a
    good decision.

    I'm seeing one little oddity. I'll start a new thread for that.

    I appreciate your advice.

    Larry

  4. Re: WIFI Security? Other Newbie WIFI Questions.

    Larry Lindstrom wrote:
    > Jerry Park wrote:

    > I'm seeing one little oddity. I'll start a new thread for that.

    Never mind, I didn't realize I needed to run broadcom's setup
    in XP's control panel for each user.

    Things are working fine, although sometimes Firefox reports
    "Server not found" on the first page after starting. Hitting
    the try again button seems to bring everything up fine, and I
    don't see "Server not found" for the rest of the session with
    Firefox.

    Thanks
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread