Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computer DSL network - Network

This is a discussion on Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computer DSL network - Network ; Hi - I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling for 2 weeks trying to figure this out with not success. My wife and I both have desk top computers which are located about 12 feet apart. ...

  1. Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computer DSL network

    Hi - I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling for 2 weeks
    trying to figure this out with not success. My wife and I both have desk
    top computers which are located about 12 feet apart. We have one DSL line
    which is attached to her computer via a modem. I share that DSL line with a
    hard wire to my computer. We can both be on our computers at the same time.
    I need more USB ports for my computer so I bought a USB hub with four ports.
    I have not been successful in getting that hub connected to my computer. The
    one available USB port on my computer is a Type A. However, the USB hub
    ports are also type A's. The only cable I can find is with a type A on one
    end and a type B on the other end.......so I haven't been able to hook it up.
    I have been told that I just need to connect the hub to the computer via a
    cable. I can't find any adapter at my computer store that will address this
    problem. Additionally, I want to connect my lap top computer to the DSL line
    that I share with my wife's computer....but I can not seem to find out how to
    do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for a dumb old 67 year old
    computer illiterate?

    --
    Rennod Rennier

  2. Re: Connecting a USB hub and my laptop computer to my 2 two computerDSL network

    Rennod wrote:
    > Hi - I am hoping someone can help me. I have been struggling for 2 weeks
    > trying to figure this out with not success. My wife and I both have desk
    > top computers which are located about 12 feet apart. We have one DSL line
    > which is attached to her computer via a modem. I share that DSL line with a
    > hard wire to my computer. We can both be on our computers at the same time.
    > I need more USB ports for my computer so I bought a USB hub with four ports.
    > I have not been successful in getting that hub connected to my computer. The
    > one available USB port on my computer is a Type A. However, the USB hub
    > ports are also type A's. The only cable I can find is with a type A on one
    > end and a type B on the other end.......so I haven't been able to hook it up.
    > I have been told that I just need to connect the hub to the computer via a
    > cable. I can't find any adapter at my computer store that will address this
    > problem. Additionally, I want to connect my lap top computer to the DSL line
    > that I share with my wife's computer....but I can not seem to find out how to
    > do that. Does anyone have any suggestions for a dumb old 67 year old
    > computer illiterate?

    Take the hub back and get a dsl router from linksys or d-link. Just plug
    network cables from the computer to the router and the router to the dsl
    modem.

+ Reply to Thread