Help with configuring this network on Windows - Network

This is a discussion on Help with configuring this network on Windows - Network ; I am trying to configure a complicated network here for my Dell Inspiron laptop. The primary connection for internet traffic should be through wireless to a wifi router that is on another floor of my house. I also am trying ...

  1. Help with configuring this network on Windows

    I am trying to configure a complicated network here for my Dell Inspiron
    laptop.

    The primary connection for internet traffic should be through wireless
    to a wifi router that is on another floor of my house.

    I also am trying to use the wired connection to connect to an old
    netgear RT314 wired router that is also connected to a Linux development
    board. The only purpose for this router is to connect to the development
    board providing DHCP to the board. The WAN port of the router is not
    even hooked up.

    The first problem I have is that when I connect the wired connection to
    the netgear, I lose connectivity to the Internet. I believe it decides
    that the best place to route the traffic is to the netgear, but of
    course it goes nowhere because the WAN port is not hooked up. It would
    be nice to have the NetGear wired to the internet connection, but as I
    said that is on anoher floor and canot be easily wired.

    So how can I keep it from trying to route general traffic to the NetGear?

    Within the PC things get more complicated. I am running Linux under
    VMWare under Windows which adds some more networking connections. There
    is also a connection for openVPN, but that is not the problem.

    I need the development board connected to the NetGear to be able to
    connect to the Linux machine under VMWare, which is using a bridged
    connection. How do I get that to happen?

    It looks like VMWare picks which network to bridge into. If I start
    VMWare with the NetGear hooked up it bridges to that network otherwise
    it bridges to the wireless network.

    The only way I have gotten this to work is to start up VMWare with the
    NetGear connected, so that it is on the same network as the development
    board. But I have no internet connectivity like that.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    --
    Dale King

  2. Re: Help with configuring this network on Windows

    Dale King wrote:
    > I am trying to configure a complicated network here for my Dell Inspiron
    > laptop.
    >
    > The primary connection for internet traffic should be through wireless
    > to a wifi router that is on another floor of my house.
    >
    > I also am trying to use the wired connection to connect to an old
    > netgear RT314 wired router that is also connected to a Linux development
    > board. The only purpose for this router is to connect to the development
    > board providing DHCP to the board. The WAN port of the router is not
    > even hooked up.
    >
    > The first problem I have is that when I connect the wired connection to
    > the netgear, I lose connectivity to the Internet. I believe it decides
    > that the best place to route the traffic is to the netgear, but of
    > course it goes nowhere because the WAN port is not hooked up. It would
    > be nice to have the NetGear wired to the internet connection, but as I
    > said that is on anoher floor and canot be easily wired.
    >
    > So how can I keep it from trying to route general traffic to the NetGear?

    OK, I think I've figured this part out. I set a high metric on the wired
    connection.

    --
    Dale King

+ Reply to Thread