Church need small network - Network

This is a discussion on Church need small network - Network ; My church wants me to help them set up a small network of 4 computers. Is it best to se up a wireless network and us what microsoft provides or set up a Linux server? I'm new to this so ...

  1. Church need small network

    My church wants me to help them set up a small network of 4 computers. Is it
    best to se up a wireless network and us what microsoft provides or set up a
    Linux server? I'm new to this so pleas excuse the dumb questions. They don't
    care much about security but would like a relyable , inexpensive system.
    What the best way to go about this? They already have 4 computers ready to
    go, and some antiquated wiring. Should I just do wireless?

    --
    Thank you,

    J. Montrose

  2. Re: Church need small network

    You can use linux for a cheap server, for a desktop computer, it will
    depend on what software you are using and if it will run on linux.
    Wireless is generally more expensive (for the parts) than wired, but you
    can use the computers throughout the church.

    I have set up a church last year with wireless, they all had laptops.
    They were then able to use the laptops in the main auditorium and gym
    for special events.

    Montrose wrote:
    > My church wants me to help them set up a small network of 4 computers. Is it
    > best to se up a wireless network and us what microsoft provides or set up a
    > Linux server? I'm new to this so pleas excuse the dumb questions. They don't
    > care much about security but would like a relyable , inexpensive system.
    > What the best way to go about this? They already have 4 computers ready to
    > go, and some antiquated wiring. Should I just do wireless?

  3. Re: Church need small network

    J.: For $50 you can buy a wireless router that will connect the 4 desktops
    (if that is what they are) with ethernet cables and will permit the later
    addition of a portable laptop by wireless. You say they have "antiquated
    wiring." What you will need is Ethernet cables of good quality. Wired
    connections are faster than wireless and less trouble.

    One router I have used is Linksys model WRT5G, at a store near you.

    Connect all the computer with ethernet cable to the router, located near one
    of them. If you later want to add a portable, it is easy by using the
    software that comes with the router.

    I did this in my house with 3 desktops and a laptop. I ran into one problem
    that was solved with help from geeks on the internet.

    Ben Green
    Scotia, NY

    "Montrose" wrote in message
    > My church wants me to help them set up a small network of 4 computers. Is
    > it
    > best to se up a wireless network and us what microsoft provides or set up
    > Linux server? I'm new to this so pleas excuse the dumb questions. They
    > don't
    > care much about security but would like a relyable , inexpensive system.
    > What the best way to go about this? They already have 4 computers ready to
    > go, and some antiquated wiring. Should I just do wireless?
    >

    > --
    > Thank you,
    >
    > J. Montrose

  4. Re: Church need small network

    On 7-Jun-2006, JN wrote:

    > You can use linux for a cheap server, for a desktop computer, it will
    > depend on what software you are using and if it will run on linux.
    > Wireless is generally more expensive (for the parts) than wired, but you
    > can use the computers throughout the church.
    >
    > I have set up a church last year with wireless, they all had laptops.
    > They were then able to use the laptops in the main auditorium and gym
    > for special events.

    Why do I need a server. Can't I use XP to set it up like a home network?

    --
    Thank you,

    J. Montrose

  5. Re: Church need small network

    Montrose wrote:
    > On 7-Jun-2006, JN wrote:
    >
    >> You can use linux for a cheap server, for a desktop computer, it will
    >> depend on what software you are using and if it will run on linux.
    >> Wireless is generally more expensive (for the parts) than wired, but you
    >> can use the computers throughout the church.
    >>
    >> I have set up a church last year with wireless, they all had laptops.
    >> They were then able to use the laptops in the main auditorium and gym
    >> for special events.

    > Why do I need a server. Can't I use XP to set it up like a home network?

    if you have 5 or more computers it is easier to have a dedicated server
    to hold all the documents and other data. You can use xp to set up a
    small network. But you had originally asked about using a linux server,
    so I don't know why you are asking me why use a linux server.

  6. Re: Church need small network

    JN wrote:
    > Montrose wrote:
    >
    >> On 7-Jun-2006, JN wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can use linux for a cheap server, for a desktop computer, it will
    >>> depend on what software you are using and if it will run on linux.
    >>> Wireless is generally more expensive (for the parts) than wired, but you
    >>> can use the computers throughout the church.
    >>>
    >>> I have set up a church last year with wireless, they all had laptops.
    >>> They were then able to use the laptops in the main auditorium and gym
    >>> for special events.

    >> Why do I need a server. Can't I use XP to set it up like a home network?
    >>

    > if you have 5 or more computers it is easier to have a dedicated server
    > to hold all the documents and other data. You can use xp to set up a
    > small network. But you had originally asked about using a linux server,
    > so I don't know why you are asking me why use a linux server.

    Another good reason is to make all users store their document on the
    server, and equip it with a reliable backup system. That can save you a
    lot of trouble. If a work station is out of service, simply replace it
    with a fresh one, and the user will be able to resume working in no time.

    Regards,

    Michael.
    --
    Which is more dangerous? TV guided missiles or TV guided families?
    I am less likely to answer usenet postings by anonymous authors.

+ Reply to Thread