Long range wireless network - Network

This is a discussion on Long range wireless network - Network ; Hi Our company has two locations that are 500 meters apart without a clear line of site. We setup a VPN connection on ADSL, but the speed is not practical at all. I looked at getting higher speeds connections from ...

  1. Long range wireless network

    Hi

    Our company has two locations that are 500 meters apart without a clear line
    of site. We setup a VPN connection on ADSL, but the speed is not practical
    at all. I looked at getting higher speeds connections from our ISP but the
    prices are too high for our size. Is there a solution using wireless
    networking?

    I looked at a solution below from SMC that claims to go as far as 20 miles,
    but their sales agents tell me there has to be a clear LOS.

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...scid=&pid=1263

    --
    Thank you
    Please post only

  2. Re: Long range wireless network

    On 2006-05-14, !!bogus wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Our company has two locations that are 500 meters apart without a clear line
    > of site. We setup a VPN connection on ADSL, but the speed is not practical
    > at all. I looked at getting higher speeds connections from our ISP but the
    > prices are too high for our size. Is there a solution using wireless
    > networking?

    I don't know what your requirements are for throughput / speed /
    responsiveness of your applications but two general suggestions I
    have would be to look into WiMax products from a few vendors, and
    take a look @ Cisco's LRE (Long Range Ethernet) product - LRE might
    enable you to use cable of low quality you already have in place or
    run low-quality cable in place to get what you need. Here in NYC, our
    local PTT sells "dry lines", which are bare copper wires meant to
    wire together alarm systems. While not made to be of quality to carry
    communications traffic, they can with the right gear, of which LRE
    might be one. Cisco once had a demo where they had web surfing going
    on over a piece of cable made up of (amongst other things), a spoon,
    barbed wire, and a coat hanger all twisted (not soldered) together.

    Hope this helped a bit.

    /dmfh

    ----
    ----