Home Wireless Network Question - Network

This is a discussion on Home Wireless Network Question - Network ; I've had a successful home network with 3 computers on the network, now as I try to get my laptop to see the network, I get "Windows - System Error There is an IP address conflict with another system on ...

  1. Home Wireless Network Question

    I've had a successful home network with 3 computers on the network,
    now as I try to get my laptop to see the network, I get "Windows -
    System Error There is an IP address conflict with another system on
    the network" that I can't seem to get rid of.

    The laptop can see the home network but can't seem to establish it's
    own IP even when attempting to 'renew'.

    I installed the MAC address for the laptop successfully and am using
    "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address
    automatically" on the 'general' tab and "automatic private IP address"
    on the 'alternate configuration' tab just like one of my working boxes
    of "internet protocol TCP/IP - (both XP home machines).

    What am I missing? Trying to right click and 'repair' just brings
    back an error.

    My network is security enabled (WPA) and it's always worked great
    (still does, just can't get my laptop to connect).

    Any Ideas?

    thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: Home Wireless Network Question

    cover wrote:

    > I've had a successful home network with 3 computers on the network,
    > now as I try to get my laptop to see the network, I get "Windows -
    > System Error There is an IP address conflict with another system on
    > the network" that I can't seem to get rid of.

    Networking - General

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04

    Networking - NT/XP Specific

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/default.mspx

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

  3. Re: Home Wireless Network Question

    On Fri, 12 May 2006 21:10:07 -0700, cover
    spake thusly:

    >I've had a successful home network with 3 computers on the network,
    >now as I try to get my laptop to see the network, I get "Windows -
    >System Error There is an IP address conflict with another system on
    >the network" that I can't seem to get rid of.
    >
    >The laptop can see the home network but can't seem to establish it's
    >own IP even when attempting to 'renew'.

    One of your other machines is reserving the IP address.
    Just out of curiosity, did you at one time use Static
    IP's on your systems?

    Open a command prompt and run IPConfig to see
    what address it's trying to use and then go to each
    of the systems and do the same thing and see if one
    of them is already using it.

    --

    "Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass,
    till all these things be fulfilled." - Matthew 24:34

    "The best vitamin for a Christian is B1."

+ Reply to Thread