Intermittent DNS resolution failure - Network

This is a discussion on Intermittent DNS resolution failure - Network ; Hello all, I have a small (class-c fast ethernet) home network (a dozen nodes) running on an AD domain under Windows 2000 Advanced Server. My ISP recently migrated their local network from a local vendor's backbone to their own which ...

  1. Intermittent DNS resolution failure

    Hello all,

    I have a small (class-c fast ethernet) home network (a dozen nodes)
    running on an AD domain under Windows 2000 Advanced Server. My ISP
    recently migrated their local network from a local vendor's backbone to
    their own which forced their customers to point to a different DNS
    server. Aside from the usual outage headaches associated with such a
    change, I have found that one particular wireless laptop (Dell inspiron
    1100) running Windows XP Pro v 2002 is having intermittent problems
    resolving URLs. Firefox has a "lookup up ..." message in the lower left
    hand corner of the browser window when this happens. This is
    unpredictably sporadic as sometimes it is able to resolve, sometimes not.
    Periods of resolution can average minutes to a half an hour, periods of
    non-resolution usually last hours. Rebooting isn't effective.

    Route to internet: Laptop -> U.S. Robotics wireless router (54/125mbps)
    -> unmanaged distribution switch -> router/firewall -> cable modem ->
    Internet

    This configuration worked flawlessly for several years and only started
    having problems after the network migration.

    The laptop originally procured it's IP address from a DHCP server running
    on the domain controller. I flushed dns, released the IP, and
    reregistered to no avail. On the advice of a colleague I reconfigured to
    a static IP, was able to connect this morning, but this afternoon I am
    unable to resolve again.

    An interesting symptom, when experiencing the period of non-resolution, I
    can open an NSLOOKUP session with the DNS server and resolve, for
    example, google.com, but when trying to ping it from a command prompt or
    HTTP to it, resolution fails.

    I am able to resolve URLs on every other computer, including a 54/125mbps
    wireless workstation that takes the same route to the Internet. Signal
    strength is optimal, connection speed usually running 54mbps and
    compression achieving the full 125mbps connection to my LAN.

    I appreciate any assistance resolving my resolution problem ;-) Thanks!

  2. Re: Intermittent DNS resolution failure

    Archer wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a small (class-c fast ethernet) home network (a dozen nodes)
    > running on an AD domain under Windows 2000 Advanced Server. My ISP
    > recently migrated their local network from a local vendor's backbone to
    > their own which forced their customers to point to a different DNS
    > server. Aside from the usual outage headaches associated with such a
    > change, I have found that one particular wireless laptop (Dell inspiron
    > 1100) running Windows XP Pro v 2002 is having intermittent problems
    > resolving URLs. Firefox has a "lookup up ..." message in the lower left
    > hand corner of the browser window when this happens. This is
    > unpredictably sporadic as sometimes it is able to resolve, sometimes not.
    > Periods of resolution can average minutes to a half an hour, periods of
    > non-resolution usually last hours. Rebooting isn't effective.
    >
    > Route to internet: Laptop -> U.S. Robotics wireless router (54/125mbps)
    > -> unmanaged distribution switch -> router/firewall -> cable modem ->
    > Internet
    >
    > This configuration worked flawlessly for several years and only started
    > having problems after the network migration.
    >
    > The laptop originally procured it's IP address from a DHCP server running
    > on the domain controller. I flushed dns, released the IP, and
    > reregistered to no avail. On the advice of a colleague I reconfigured to
    > a static IP, was able to connect this morning, but this afternoon I am
    > unable to resolve again.
    >
    > An interesting symptom, when experiencing the period of non-resolution, I
    > can open an NSLOOKUP session with the DNS server and resolve, for
    > example, google.com, but when trying to ping it from a command prompt or
    > HTTP to it, resolution fails.
    >
    > I am able to resolve URLs on every other computer, including a 54/125mbps
    > wireless workstation that takes the same route to the Internet. Signal
    > strength is optimal, connection speed usually running 54mbps and
    > compression achieving the full 125mbps connection to my LAN.
    >
    > I appreciate any assistance resolving my resolution problem ;-) Thanks!

    Curious.

+ Reply to Thread