Wireless PC card makes loud noise - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless PC card makes loud noise - Network ; My brother gave me an older Compaq Presario laptop onto which I installed Windows XP and a Linksys 802.11b PC card. It works fine except for the fact that every time it accesses the network it makes a loud fast ...

  1. Wireless PC card makes loud noise

    My brother gave me an older Compaq Presario laptop onto which I
    installed Windows XP and a Linksys 802.11b PC card. It works fine except
    for the fact that every time it accesses the network it makes a loud
    fast clicking noise. I have muted the speakers (and turned down the
    volumes just in case), but it still makes the loud noise. Clicking on
    properties and searching around there turns up no solutions. Any ideas?
    The computer reports that the cardbus controller is a TI PCI-1211.

    David Azose

  2. Re: Wireless PC card makes loud noise

    David Azose wrote:
    > My brother gave me an older Compaq Presario laptop onto which I
    > installed Windows XP and a Linksys 802.11b PC card. It works fine except
    > for the fact that every time it accesses the network it makes a loud
    > fast clicking noise. I have muted the speakers (and turned down the
    > volumes just in case), but it still makes the loud noise. Clicking on
    > properties and searching around there turns up no solutions. Any ideas?
    > The computer reports that the cardbus controller is a TI PCI-1211.
    >
    > David Azose

    To anyone who also has experienced this problem, I found a workaround. I
    simply plugged in a mini audio adapter in the the MIC (not the earphone)
    jack of the laptop and all the sounds went away. One undesirable effect
    was that ALL sounds, including regular Windows sounds, also went away,
    but that was not a concern for me.

    David Azose

  3. Re: Wireless PC card makes loud noise

    On 2006-05-06, David Azose wrote:
    > David Azose wrote:
    >> My brother gave me an older Compaq Presario laptop onto which I
    >> installed Windows XP and a Linksys 802.11b PC card. It works fine except
    >> for the fact that every time it accesses the network it makes a loud
    >> fast clicking noise. I have muted the speakers (and turned down the
    >> volumes just in case), but it still makes the loud noise. Clicking on
    >> properties and searching around there turns up no solutions. Any ideas?
    >> The computer reports that the cardbus controller is a TI PCI-1211.
    >>
    >> David Azose

    > To anyone who also has experienced this problem, I found a workaround. I
    > simply plugged in a mini audio adapter in the the MIC (not the earphone)
    > jack of the laptop and all the sounds went away. One undesirable effect
    > was that ALL sounds, including regular Windows sounds, also went away,
    > but that was not a concern for me.
    >
    > David Azose

    Sounds like the wireless card generated a lot of radio frequency
    noise on the input amplifier stages of your laptop - cool post.

    /dmfh

    ----
    ----

+ Reply to Thread