Change router settings without using it's software? - Network

This is a discussion on Change router settings without using it's software? - Network ; I'm trying to figure out how to change my router's mac address, then reset the router from within a seperate program... basically the point is to not need to login to the router to change its settings... my router is ...

  1. Change router settings without using it's software?

    I'm trying to figure out how to change my router's mac address, then
    reset the router from within a seperate program... basically the point
    is to not need to login to the router to change its settings...

    my router is a netgear mr814v2, and I've have been trying for the past
    day to get the software off of it somehow but that seems to be nearly
    impossible. I even tried to get a firmware upgrade and play with it but
    no luck there either.

    So on to my question... does anyone know how to login to a router
    without useing the software on the router? (I'm trying to do this to MY
    router not someone else's so I have the password...)

    If not that... any ideas on how to get the software off it? Its just
    some html and cgi files but no matter what I do I can't get them.

    Any help or shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: Change router settings without using it's software?

    nasaiya wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out how to change my router's mac address, then
    > reset the router from within a seperate program... basically the point
    > is to not need to login to the router to change its settings...
    >
    > my router is a netgear mr814v2, and I've have been trying for the past
    > day to get the software off of it somehow but that seems to be nearly
    > impossible. I even tried to get a firmware upgrade and play with it but
    > no luck there either.
    >
    > So on to my question... does anyone know how to login to a router
    > without useing the software on the router? (I'm trying to do this to MY
    > router not someone else's so I have the password...)
    >
    > If not that... any ideas on how to get the software off it? Its just
    > some html and cgi files but no matter what I do I can't get them.
    >
    > Any help or shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

    1) You mention changing the MAC adr. This is physical to the hardware
    and cannot be changed. You probably mean the ip adr.
    2) If you hook up a computer to just the router (no internet, no other
    computers), and do a dos window of ipconfig /release then ipconfig
    /renew, the laptop may grab a new ip adr, which will be in the same
    group as the router, and then will talk to it.
    You can confirm which ip adr the computer grabbed by typing ipconfig
    without any extras.
    3) If that doesn't work, you need to manually enter and ip adr and
    subnet into your pc, which is in the same group as your router. If you
    know the router adr, the pc adr must be different.
    4) Once they are in the same group/subnet you can open a browser and
    type in the ip adr of the router. On most routers, a password window
    will open and then you go to some sort of interface
    gr

  3. Re: Change router settings without using it's software?

    Well my router does let me change the mac (or at least the one it lets
    other devices see) and if I change the mac, then reset the router and
    the cable modem, I end up with a new ip (I was stuck with the same one
    for a few months until i figured this out :-)

    Anyway I did get one of the html pages off the router that has the form
    on it for submitting the new mac address that you want to a cgi file on
    the router (I can't get that file) but since i can submit to it that's
    good enough for now. I still can't figure out how to reset the router
    completely though without unplugging it. I know this is possible.
    The next thing I'll probably try is flooding it with data of some kind
    to see if I can get it to crash and then reset itself automatically.

    Any better ideas? :-) Thanks in advance

    On 2006-03-25, gr wrote:
    > nasaiya wrote:
    >> I'm trying to figure out how to change my router's mac address, then
    >> reset the router from within a seperate program... basically the point
    >> is to not need to login to the router to change its settings...
    >>
    >> my router is a netgear mr814v2, and I've have been trying for the past
    >> day to get the software off of it somehow but that seems to be nearly
    >> impossible. I even tried to get a firmware upgrade and play with it but
    >> no luck there either.
    >>
    >> So on to my question... does anyone know how to login to a router
    >> without useing the software on the router? (I'm trying to do this to MY
    >> router not someone else's so I have the password...)
    >>
    >> If not that... any ideas on how to get the software off it? Its just
    >> some html and cgi files but no matter what I do I can't get them.
    >>
    >> Any help or shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

    > 1) You mention changing the MAC adr. This is physical to the hardware
    > and cannot be changed. You probably mean the ip adr.
    > 2) If you hook up a computer to just the router (no internet, no other
    > computers), and do a dos window of ipconfig /release then ipconfig
    > /renew, the laptop may grab a new ip adr, which will be in the same
    > group as the router, and then will talk to it.
    > You can confirm which ip adr the computer grabbed by typing ipconfig
    > without any extras.
    > 3) If that doesn't work, you need to manually enter and ip adr and
    > subnet into your pc, which is in the same group as your router. If you
    > know the router adr, the pc adr must be different.
    > 4) Once they are in the same group/subnet you can open a browser and
    > type in the ip adr of the router. On most routers, a password window
    > will open and then you go to some sort of interface
    > gr

+ Reply to Thread