Add HDD to network printer? - Network

This is a discussion on Add HDD to network printer? - Network ; Can I connect an external hard drive to a networked printer via the unused usb connection. The printer is attached to a router via ethernet. Can I plug an external hard drive (a usb drive) into the printer's USB port ...

  1. Add HDD to network printer?

    Can I connect an external hard drive to a networked printer via the unused
    usb
    connection. The printer is attached to a router via ethernet. Can I plug
    an external hard drive (a usb drive) into the printer's USB port and see it
    on the
    network?
    Thanks
    LT

  2. Re: Add HDD to network printer?

    LT wrote:
    > Can I connect an external hard drive to a networked printer via the unused
    > usb
    > connection. The printer is attached to a router via ethernet. Can I plug
    > an external hard drive (a usb drive) into the printer's USB port and see it
    > on the
    > network?

    Completely depends on your printer, that is it is technically possible
    to make a printer that would be able to do so, however I have never
    heard of it. And frankly, it sounds a little bit ridiculous.

    I'd say no, this is impossible.

    If you want to create a NAS (Network Attached Storage), you could do
    that easily with a extremely simple PC, running Linux for example with
    Samba, to access the drive.

    Bart

+ Reply to Thread