Netgear FVS318 to Sony Vaio w/ docking station - Network

This is a discussion on Netgear FVS318 to Sony Vaio w/ docking station - Network ; I bought a new Netgear FVS318 router for a friend and he has a Sony Vaio with a docking station. When the laptop is in the docking station I cannot get connectivity with the router, if I take the laptop ...

  1. Netgear FVS318 to Sony Vaio w/ docking station

    I bought a new Netgear FVS318 router for a friend and he has a Sony Vaio
    with a docking station. When the laptop is in the docking station I cannot
    get connectivity with the router, if I take the laptop out of the docking
    station everything is fine.

    I have an older FVS318 at home, so I brought the computer home and hooked it
    up to my router with the docking station and everything worked fine. I
    noticed that the docking station only has 4 metal pins in the ethernet port
    while the laptop has all 8. Could there be a change in the FVS318 where it
    now needs more than 4 pins for it to work?

    Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

    Todd

  2. Re: Netgear FVS318 to Sony Vaio w/ docking station

    Todd wrote:
    > I bought a new Netgear FVS318 router for a friend and he has a Sony Vaio
    > with a docking station. When the laptop is in the docking station I cannot
    > get connectivity with the router, if I take the laptop out of the docking
    > station everything is fine.
    >
    > I have an older FVS318 at home, so I brought the computer home and hooked it
    > up to my router with the docking station and everything worked fine. I
    > noticed that the docking station only has 4 metal pins in the ethernet port
    > while the laptop has all 8. Could there be a change in the FVS318 where it
    > now needs more than 4 pins for it to work?
    >
    > Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
    >
    > Todd

    Ethernet WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY LESS THAN 6 CONNECTORS! Eight is the
    standard, but Cat5 uses only 6. Your docking station has a flaw; get a
    new one.
    poly-p man

+ Reply to Thread