PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ?? - Network

This is a discussion on PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ?? - Network ; I have been desperately trying over the weekend with computer knowledgeable people to simply instigate a WIRELESS network of sorts...... I have a NETGEAR DG834GT MODEM/ROUTER and wireless adapters. Internet connection is not an issue as it is connected first ...

  1. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ??

    I have been desperately trying over the weekend with computer knowledgeable
    people to simply instigate a WIRELESS network of sorts......

    I have a NETGEAR DG834GT MODEM/ROUTER and wireless adapters.

    Internet connection is not an issue as it is connected first time
    everytime.....

    but what I want to be able to do is allow my wife to access my documents,
    music, pictures etc from my internal HDD and my external HDD.

    My netgear is hardwired via ethernet cable to my PC and hers is simply
    connected via the wireless adapter.

    I have used the CMD and IPCONFIG bits to check that the machines are talking
    and all seems fine on there....... so why can't we share or even establish a
    network come to that....... we can't see each other through the PCs.

    In the router setup it shows that the gateway is...... 192.168.0.1
    mine is.........
    192.168.0.2
    wife.............
    192.168.0.3

    wife's machine name shows up as per on system details, but mine shows up as
    being named as "UNKNOWN"

    So one other way for me to try to resolve this is for me to install the
    SECOND ADAPTER and me go wireless as well......... but it seems so simple to
    try and get us to share....... BUT IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN !!!!

    Netgear customer services told me to switch off windows firewall on both
    machines as the router has its own and windows is not required.

    I am running WINDOWS XP SP2 and wife's is XP PROFESSIONAL SP2.

    Someone must have a simple idea as I have tried and tried and tried with
    others and got nowhere.............

    Many thanks STEVE

  2. Re: PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ??

    You said your gateway was 192.168.0.2 and your wife's gateway was
    192.168.0.3? Your router will always be your gateway, therefore all the
    computers connected to the network should have the gateway set to
    192.168.0.1, subnet should be 255.255.255.0, DNS should be 192.168.0.1,
    and each computer should have a unique IP address such as 192.168.0.*.
    The router should also have a DHCP server so you should be able to tell
    windows to gather all that information for you automatically and setup
    the network connections. Hope this helps. -Eric

    natsun wrote:
    > I have been desperately trying over the weekend with computer knowledgeable
    > people to simply instigate a WIRELESS network of sorts......
    >
    > I have a NETGEAR DG834GT MODEM/ROUTER and wireless adapters.
    >
    > Internet connection is not an issue as it is connected first time
    > everytime.....
    >
    > but what I want to be able to do is allow my wife to access my documents,
    > music, pictures etc from my internal HDD and my external HDD.
    >
    > My netgear is hardwired via ethernet cable to my PC and hers is simply
    > connected via the wireless adapter.
    >
    > I have used the CMD and IPCONFIG bits to check that the machines are talking
    > and all seems fine on there....... so why can't we share or even establish a
    > network come to that....... we can't see each other through the PCs.
    >
    > In the router setup it shows that the gateway is...... 192.168.0.1
    > mine is.........
    > 192.168.0.2
    > wife.............
    > 192.168.0.3
    >
    > wife's machine name shows up as per on system details, but mine shows up as
    > being named as "UNKNOWN"
    >
    > So one other way for me to try to resolve this is for me to install the
    > SECOND ADAPTER and me go wireless as well......... but it seems so simple to
    > try and get us to share....... BUT IT'S DOING MY HEAD IN !!!!
    >
    > Netgear customer services told me to switch off windows firewall on both
    > machines as the router has its own and windows is not required.
    >
    > I am running WINDOWS XP SP2 and wife's is XP PROFESSIONAL SP2.
    >
    > Someone must have a simple idea as I have tried and tried and tried with
    > others and got nowhere.............
    >
    > Many thanks STEVE

  3. Re: PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ??

    Hi Eric,

    many thanks for your help...... the DNS shows the following

    GATEWAY 192.168.0.1
    #1............. 192.168.0.2 (MINE..... SHOWN ON ROUTER "UNKOWN")
    #2............. 192.168.0.3 (WIFE..... HER MACHINE NAME IS SHOWN)

    So am completely confused as how to possibly set this up and it seems to be
    such a simple thing according to windows!!

    According to netgear and the ping results, the machines see and communicate
    with each other but stll I cannot establish a network.

    Thanks so much

    Steve

  4. Re: PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ??

    Hmm, are you letting Windows obtain the IP/DNS automatically or
    inserting it in yourself? In theory, if you can ping each other there
    should be a connection established. One suggestion would be to make sure
    both computers are in the same Windows Workgroup. Right click on My
    Computer, click properties, go to the computer name tab and set both
    computers on the same workgroup. Then, when you view workgroup computers
    in XP, the computers should appear. Each computer also has a "computer
    name" under that tab as well. On one computer open up windows explorer
    and type in the address bar: \\computername substituting computername
    for the "computer name" of the other computer. Then hit enter and you
    should see all the shared documents. Hope that helps. -Eric

    natsun wrote:
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > many thanks for your help...... the DNS shows the following
    >
    > GATEWAY 192.168.0.1
    > #1............. 192.168.0.2 (MINE..... SHOWN ON ROUTER "UNKOWN")
    > #2............. 192.168.0.3 (WIFE..... HER MACHINE NAME IS SHOWN)
    >
    > So am completely confused as how to possibly set this up and it seems to be
    > such a simple thing according to windows!!
    >
    > According to netgear and the ping results, the machines see and communicate
    > with each other but stll I cannot establish a network.
    >
    > Thanks so much
    >
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread