pptp is too slow! other options? - Network

This is a discussion on pptp is too slow! other options? - Network ; I'm trying to figure out a way to make some sort of vpn (or other) connection to my friend's computer thats a city away. We successfully connected using the pptp but the problem is the speed. Transfer is like 2kb ...

  1. pptp is too slow! other options?

    I'm trying to figure out a way to make some sort of vpn (or other) connection
    to my friend's computer thats a city away. We successfully connected using
    the pptp but the problem is the speed. Transfer is like 2kb per second. Thats
    just rediculas. I know that my isp's servers are wayyy faster than that as are
    my upload/download quotas (as well as my friend's).

    Is there any possible way for us to create a vpn that will allow us to
    use the full potential of our internet connections to share files? or at
    least send things at a more reasonable speed?

    I have a decent knowledge of c++ so eventually i want to make a sort of
    file sharing program that does this but i don't know enough about how
    pptp and other things like that work so if this is a stupid question
    sorry but i can't seem to find the answer to it.

  2. Re: pptp is too slow! other options?

    "nasaiya" wrote in message
    news:37adnYf11f6vbj3enZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > I'm trying to figure out a way to make some sort of vpn (or other)
    > connection
    > to my friend's computer thats a city away. We successfully connected using
    > the pptp but the problem is the speed. Transfer is like 2kb per second.
    > Thats
    > just rediculas. I know that my isp's servers are wayyy faster than that as
    > are
    > my upload/download quotas (as well as my friend's).
    >
    > Is there any possible way for us to create a vpn that will allow us to
    > use the full potential of our internet connections to share files? or at
    > least send things at a more reasonable speed?
    >
    > I have a decent knowledge of c++ so eventually i want to make a sort of
    > file sharing program that does this but i don't know enough about how
    > pptp and other things like that work so if this is a stupid question
    > sorry but i can't seem to find the answer to it.

    If I am understanding correctly, you and your friend have tried using the
    software VPN which you can set up in Windows, correct? If that's the case,
    then I would recommend looking into getting a couple of VPN routers and
    using those to establish the tunnel. This takes the overhead of the tunnel
    off of your individual PCs. The other idea is to use a software VPN like
    Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc, which is free) or OpenVPN (google for it, I don't
    have the address handy, though I think it's www.openvpn.org) Both of these
    are software VPNs but they are reasonably faster than the connection Windows
    lets you create. I am currently using Hamachi for my PCs and I love it.
    The only drawback (currently) is that version 0.9.9 doesn't allow running as
    a service. This is corrected in the pre-release v1, but I am waiting for
    the public release of v1 before upgrading it.

    Your file transfers through a tunnel will be from your PC to your friend's
    PC so your friend's upload speed plays into your download speeds and vice
    versa, as well.

    Undrhil

  3. Re: pptp is too slow! other options?

    nasaiya wrote:
    > I'm trying to figure out a way to make some sort of vpn (or other) connection
    > to my friend's computer thats a city away. We successfully connected using
    > the pptp but the problem is the speed. Transfer is like 2kb per second. Thats
    > just rediculas. I know that my isp's servers are wayyy faster than that as are
    > my upload/download quotas (as well as my friend's).
    >
    > Is there any possible way for us to create a vpn that will allow us to
    > use the full potential of our internet connections to share files? or at
    > least send things at a more reasonable speed?
    >
    > I have a decent knowledge of c++ so eventually i want to make a sort of
    > file sharing program that does this but i don't know enough about how
    > pptp and other things like that work so if this is a stupid question
    > sorry but i can't seem to find the answer to it.

    Little thing called an IPSEC tunnel... works while you're on the regular
    internet, too.

    poly-p man

+ Reply to Thread