Can't ping myself - Network

This is a discussion on Can't ping myself - Network ; A new Sony computer replaced an aging PIII. But now my wife's wireless laptop can't see or print to the Shared printer on my Sony. I have a Linksys wireless G router and the Sony is wired to one of ...

  1. Can't ping myself

    A new Sony computer replaced an aging PIII. But now my wife's wireless
    laptop can't see or print to the Shared printer on my Sony. I have a
    Linksys wireless G router and the Sony is wired to one of it's ports.
    Both of our computers can access the internet and surf the web.

    After many hours on the phone with Sony support, and after "recovering"
    the operating system and reinstalling all my applications, and after
    deleting and reinstalling the latest Intel network port driver, Sony
    support sent a service person to my house to replace the motherboard.
    That didn't fix the problem. The service person discovered that I
    couldn't ping myself and suggested that one of the programs that makes
    up the "stack" of the network driver must be corrupted and may not get
    overwritten when doing a new driver install. Then he left!

    I discovered that in "Safe Mode With Networking" I COULD ping myself and
    also the laptop could see and access the Sony and the Sony could see and
    access the laptop. However, in safe-mode, my Sony reports no printers
    installed so I still couldn't print from the laptop. This seems to be a
    driver issue, but where do I go from here?

    David Azose

  2. Re: Can't ping myself

    This may sound like a stupid question, but are you running XP and is the XP firewall turned on? In safe mode there's not firewall or
    anything. I have seen people have this type of problem before and it was either the XP firewall or a third party firewall they had
    installed. Ping is disallowed by default on the XP firewill and most third party firewalls.

    Just a thought

    David Azose wrote:
    > A new Sony computer replaced an aging PIII. But now my wife's wireless
    > laptop can't see or print to the Shared printer on my Sony. I have a
    > Linksys wireless G router and the Sony is wired to one of it's ports.
    > Both of our computers can access the internet and surf the web.
    >
    > After many hours on the phone with Sony support, and after "recovering"
    > the operating system and reinstalling all my applications, and after
    > deleting and reinstalling the latest Intel network port driver, Sony
    > support sent a service person to my house to replace the motherboard.
    > That didn't fix the problem. The service person discovered that I
    > couldn't ping myself and suggested that one of the programs that makes
    > up the "stack" of the network driver must be corrupted and may not get
    > overwritten when doing a new driver install. Then he left!
    >
    > I discovered that in "Safe Mode With Networking" I COULD ping myself and
    > also the laptop could see and access the Sony and the Sony could see and
    > access the laptop. However, in safe-mode, my Sony reports no printers
    > installed so I still couldn't print from the laptop. This seems to be a
    > driver issue, but where do I go from here?
    >
    > David Azose

  3. Re: Can't ping myself

    Dennis Willson wrote:
    > This may sound like a stupid question, but are you running XP and is the
    > XP firewall turned on? In safe mode there's not firewall or anything. I
    > have seen people have this type of problem before and it was either the
    > XP firewall or a third party firewall they had installed. Ping is
    > disallowed by default on the XP firewill and most third party firewalls.
    >
    > Just a thought
    >
    > David Azose wrote:
    >
    >> A new Sony computer replaced an aging PIII. But now my wife's wireless
    >> laptop can't see or print to the Shared printer on my Sony. I have a
    >> Linksys wireless G router and the Sony is wired to one of it's ports.
    >> Both of our computers can access the internet and surf the web.
    >>
    >> After many hours on the phone with Sony support, and after
    >> "recovering" the operating system and reinstalling all my
    >> applications, and after deleting and reinstalling the latest Intel
    >> network port driver, Sony support sent a service person to my house to
    >> replace the motherboard. That didn't fix the problem. The service
    >> person discovered that I couldn't ping myself and suggested that one
    >> of the programs that makes up the "stack" of the network driver must
    >> be corrupted and may not get overwritten when doing a new driver
    >> install. Then he left!
    >>
    >> I discovered that in "Safe Mode With Networking" I COULD ping myself
    >> and also the laptop could see and access the Sony and the Sony could
    >> see and access the laptop. However, in safe-mode, my Sony reports no
    >> printers installed so I still couldn't print from the laptop. This
    >> seems to be a driver issue, but where do I go from here?
    >>
    >> David Azose

    Dennis,

    Thanks for the reply. The service person that Sony sent out did turn off
    the XP firewall on both computers, but that didn't solved the problem. I
    haven't purchased, downloaded or installed any third party firewall
    software. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for some
    Microsoft Support to see if I can get a "clean" install of the network
    connetor driver. Thanks again.

    David

+ Reply to Thread