Sharing of files over the Internet - Network

This is a discussion on Sharing of files over the Internet - Network ; I am working away from home (2000 Km away) I need to access my home computer's Hard Disk's data occassionally. But my family members are totally ignorant in Computer. (They cannot do simple task such as sharing out the HDD's ...

  1. Sharing of files over the Internet

    I am working away from home (2000 Km away)

    I need to access my home computer's Hard Disk's data occassionally.

    But my family members are totally ignorant in Computer. (They cannot do
    simple task such as sharing out the HDD's folder & report the IP address of
    the computer to me over the telephone).

    What is the simpliest possible solution to help me ???

    Can I run a simple software in my home computer, so that I can access my
    home computer's HDD data from a remote site.

  2. Re: Sharing of files over the Internet

    On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 01:00:18 +0800, LAU Chi-Ming wrote:
    > I am working away from home (2000 Km away)
    >
    > I need to access my home computer's Hard Disk's data occassionally.
    >
    > But my family members are totally ignorant in Computer. (They cannot do
    > simple task such as sharing out the HDD's folder & report the IP address of
    > the computer to me over the telephone).

    That wouldn't help you anyway... any half-assed ISP is going to be
    dropping all NetBIOS traffic.

    > What is the simpliest possible solution to help me ???
    >
    > Can I run a simple software in my home computer, so that I can access my
    > home computer's HDD data from a remote site.

    You can use VNC to access the PC itself for free. PC Anywhere costs
    some, but has provisions for moving files around IIRC. You could also
    install an FTP server on that PC.

    * California gun owners - protect your rights and join the CRPA today! *
    * http://www.crpa.org/ *
    * San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *

  3. Re: Sharing of files over the Internet

    "LAU Chi-Ming" wrote in message news:4347fb15$1@127.0.0.1...

    >I am working away from home (2000 Km away)
    >
    > I need to access my home computer's Hard Disk's data occassionally.

    Remember that ANY remote access - regardless of your level of sophistication - can be
    dangerous to your system...

    There are solutions such as GoToMypc - use Google. Luke :-)
    A DYI method - if you use Windows 2000, XP) investigate RAS, RRAS and Remote Desktop.
    The best and simplest method - buy a portable USB powered drive (they come in
    capacities from 1 to 120 G...), copy the stuff you need before leaving home and take
    it with you.