Using a router with a DSL modem (should be easy) - Network

This is a discussion on Using a router with a DSL modem (should be easy) - Network ; I can access the Internet with my laptop connected directly to the DSL modem, but when I connect my Linksys BEFW11S4 router+AP to the modem and my laptop to the router it doesn't work. I think I see the problem, ...

  1. Using a router with a DSL modem (should be easy)

    I can access the Internet with my laptop connected directly to the DSL
    modem, but when I connect my Linksys BEFW11S4 router+AP to the modem and
    my laptop to the router it doesn't work. I think I see the problem, but
    I don't know how to fix it. The following was copied from the router's
    Status page:

    Login Type: DHCP
    Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS 1: 200.48.225.130
    DNS 2: 200.48.225.146
    DNS 3: 0.0.0.0

    Previously I have had success connecting multiple computers through this
    router, which was then connected to a cable modem. Those times however,
    the cable modem gave the router a real IP address. This time it appears
    the DSL modem is calling itself 192.168.1.1 and is giving the router the
    address 192.168.1.3. The router is calling itself 192.168.1.1 also.
    I've looked for similar problems on this group and tried a few things,
    but nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Lane

  2. Re: Using a router with a DSL modem (should be easy)

    Lane Phillips wrote:

    > I can access the Internet with my laptop connected directly to the DSL
    > modem, but when I connect my Linksys BEFW11S4 router+AP to the modem
    > and my laptop to the router it doesn't work. I think I see the
    > problem, but I don't know how to fix it. The following was copied
    > from the router's Status page:
    >
    > Login Type: DHCP
    > Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    > DNS 1: 200.48.225.130
    > DNS 2: 200.48.225.146
    > DNS 3: 0.0.0.0
    >
    > Previously I have had success connecting multiple computers through
    > this router, which was then connected to a cable modem. Those times
    > however, the cable modem gave the router a real IP address. This time
    > it appears the DSL modem is calling itself 192.168.1.1 and is giving
    > the router the address 192.168.1.3. The router is calling itself
    > 192.168.1.1 also. I've looked for similar problems on this group and
    > tried a few things, but nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lane

    What type of DSL modem? The Westell modems may also function as routers.
    If you want your router to do that, you need to set the modem to bridge
    mode. However, it should work even if the modem is functioning as a router.

    Have you set the router for the connection type? Probably PPPoE.
    Username/password, etc.

  3. Problem restated

    I think my first post was maybe not clear enough.

    I have a XAVi Technologies Corporation DSL modem, model X8021r. It was
    installed by the phone company. I don't know the password on it. I'm
    avoiding calling the phone company, because I speak the local language
    rather poorly.

    I can connect my laptop to the modem through an Ethernet cable, and I
    can access the Internet just fine. My laptop receives the address
    192.168.1.2 from the modem, and the gateway address is 192.168.1.1, so
    it appears the modem is also acting as a router.

    I also have a Linksys Wireless Router, model BEFW11S4. What I *want* to
    do is connect this router to the modem, so I can use it as a wireless
    access point.

    Is there a way I can set up the Linksys router so that both routers can
    play together on the same network, without having to change the settings
    on the DSL modem?

    Thanks,
    Lane

  4. Problem solved

    I got the solution off-line from my brother. I assume this works for
    most Linksys routers, I don't know about others.

    1. Disable DHCP on the router.
    2. Plug the modem into port 4 on the router, instead of the WAN port

    The Linksys router should act as a hub and AP on the network.

  5. Re: Problem solved

    Lane Phillips wrote:

    > I got the solution off-line from my brother. I assume this works for
    > most Linksys routers, I don't know about others.
    >
    > 1. Disable DHCP on the router.
    > 2. Plug the modem into port 4 on the router, instead of the WAN port
    >
    > The Linksys router should act as a hub and AP on the network.

    That may well do it. The router will be acting as a switch. Hopefully,
    the AP functions will work OK too.

    If not, set the router to use a different subnet (e.g.: 192.168.2.x),
    turn DHCP back on, and set the router to get its address through DHCP.
    Then plug the modem into the WAN port of the router. Systems attached to
    the router will use the router as a gateway (192.168.2.1), the router
    will use the modem as its gateway (192.168.1.1), and everything should
    work OK. This will also let you use any firewall functions in the
    router, etc.

+ Reply to Thread