Network Nightmares - Network

This is a discussion on Network Nightmares - Network ; Hi Everyone. I am a relative newbie to networks, and have what seems a simple problem, but cannot find a solution. I have a desktop and laptop, both running win xp sp2. I have used the network wizard to set ...

  1. Network Nightmares

    Hi Everyone. I am a relative newbie to networks, and have what seems a
    simple problem, but cannot find a solution.

    I have a desktop and laptop, both running win xp sp2. I have used the
    network wizard to set up an ethernet network on both. Both computers
    can access the internet no problem. However whereas the desktop can
    see and access shared files on the laptop, the converse is not true.
    Although the laptop can see the shared file folders on the desktop, an
    error message appears when I try to open the folder: "...\shared docs
    is not accessible. You might not have permission etc."

    Any suggestions gratefully received.( I have turned off firewalls).

    Thanks

  2. Re: Network Nightmares

    John Carroll wrote:

    >Hi Everyone. I am a relative newbie to networks, and have what seems a
    >simple problem, but cannot find a solution.
    >
    >I have a desktop and laptop, both running win xp sp2. I have used the
    >network wizard to set up an ethernet network on both. Both computers
    >can access the internet no problem. However whereas the desktop can
    >see and access shared files on the laptop, the converse is not true.
    >Although the laptop can see the shared file folders on the desktop, an
    >error message appears when I try to open the folder: "...\shared docs
    >is not accessible. You might not have permission etc."
    >
    >Any suggestions gratefully received.( I have turned off firewalls).
    >
    >Thanks

    Make sure you have shared resources.

    Create a log name/password on each system (the same on each system). You
    should then be able to access resources from each system when logged in
    to the other.

  3. Re: Network Nightmares

    Jerry,

    I should have stated that you are dealing with a technophobic
    ignoramous!
    When you say create a log name/password on each system, are you
    refering to the windows login name? If so, I do have the same login
    name on both computers (although no password used),

    John

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:00:18 -0500, Jerry Park
    wrote:

    >John Carroll wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Everyone. I am a relative newbie to networks, and have what seems a
    >>simple problem, but cannot find a solution.
    >>
    >>I have a desktop and laptop, both running win xp sp2. I have used the
    >>network wizard to set up an ethernet network on both. Both computers
    >>can access the internet no problem. However whereas the desktop can
    >>see and access shared files on the laptop, the converse is not true.
    >>Although the laptop can see the shared file folders on the desktop, an
    >>error message appears when I try to open the folder: "...\shared docs
    >>is not accessible. You might not have permission etc."
    >>
    >>Any suggestions gratefully received.( I have turned off firewalls).
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    >Make sure you have shared resources.
    >
    >Create a log name/password on each system (the same on each system). You
    >should then be able to access resources from each system when logged in
    >to the other.

+ Reply to Thread