Wireless Network Problems - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Problems - Network ; I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell Dimension 8200 running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000 running WinXP Home Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a D-Link DI-624 Router and to a DSL connection. The ...

  1. Wireless Network Problems

    I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell Dimension 8200
    running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000 running WinXP Home
    Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a D-Link DI-624 Router and
    to a DSL connection.

    The desktop is only using WinXP firewall and the notebook WinXp and McAfee
    firewall. The notebook is able to see and access all folders on the desktop
    with no problems. The desktop is able to see the notebook but not able to
    access any folders. It keeps coming back with an error, unable to find
    path, unauthorized, etc.

    I have tried to disable the McAfee firewall all together but doesn't seem to
    help at all. In addition, if I try to use WEP or WPA security on the
    desktop to establish a secure network, the network connection is completely
    lost. The desktop will always come back with limited or no connection
    error. So as it stands, the only way I can get the networking working is to
    disable security all together. Its driving me crazy ... since I'm no
    networking guru.

    Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Any info
    would be appreciated. If you can help, please explain it in a way this
    novice will understand it. Thank you.

    P.S. Sorry if this post was sent twice.

  2. Re: Wireless Network Problems

    You probably dont have matching user accounts. In the absence of a domain
    or other authentication scheme you need to have matching local login
    accounts. Try creating an account, call it bob or something on the XP
    home machine. Give it rights to the shares you're interested in.
    Then create an account, also called bob on the Pro machine and login. You
    should then be able to see your shares.

    "Josh" wrote in

    > I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell
    > Dimension 8200 running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000
    > running WinXP Home Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a
    > D-Link DI-624 Router and to a DSL connection.
    >
    > The desktop is only using WinXP firewall and the notebook WinXp and
    > McAfee firewall. The notebook is able to see and access all folders
    > on the desktop with no problems. The desktop is able to see the
    > notebook but not able to access any folders. It keeps coming back
    > with an error, unable to find path, unauthorized, etc.
    >
    > I have tried to disable the McAfee firewall all together but doesn't
    > seem to help at all. In addition, if I try to use WEP or WPA security
    > on the desktop to establish a secure network, the network connection
    > is completely lost. The desktop will always come back with limited or
    > no connection error. So as it stands, the only way I can get the
    > networking working is to disable security all together. Its driving
    > me crazy ... since I'm no networking guru.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Any
    > info would be appreciated. If you can help, please explain it in a
    > way this novice will understand it. Thank you.
    >
    > P.S. Sorry if this post was sent twice.

  3. Re: Wireless Network Problems

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:41:57 -0400, "Josh" wrote:

    >I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell Dimension 8200
    >running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000 running WinXP Home
    >Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a D-Link DI-624 Router and
    >to a DSL connection.
    >
    >The desktop is only using WinXP firewall and the notebook WinXp and McAfee
    >firewall. The notebook is able to see and access all folders on the desktop
    >with no problems. The desktop is able to see the notebook but not able to
    >access any folders. It keeps coming back with an error, unable to find
    >path, unauthorized, etc.
    >
    >I have tried to disable the McAfee firewall all together but doesn't seem to
    >help at all. In addition, if I try to use WEP or WPA security on the
    >desktop to establish a secure network, the network connection is completely
    >lost. The desktop will always come back with limited or no connection
    >error. So as it stands, the only way I can get the networking working is to
    >disable security all together. Its driving me crazy ... since I'm no
    >networking guru.
    >
    >Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Any info
    >would be appreciated. If you can help, please explain it in a way this
    >novice will understand it. Thank you.
    >
    >P.S. Sorry if this post was sent twice.

    Josh,

    Personal firewalls will indeed cause this problem. Also, check registry setting
    restrictanonymous.
    Misconfigured / overlooked firewalls:

    Registry setting restrictanonymous:

    Next, check "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer. Read this
    article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely:

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

  4. Re: Wireless Network Problems

    I have a Dell Latitude D160 with an Intel 802.11 card. I had a similar
    problem, solved completely by getting the latest driver. Try Dell's
    website or go to intel.

    Tony

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005,01:41:57, Josh wrote

    >I'm having a problem successfully networking my desktop (Dell Dimension 8200
    >running WinXP Pro) and my notebook (Dell Inspiron 6000 running WinXP Home
    >Edition) successfully. The desktop is wired to a D-Link DI-624 Router and
    >to a DSL connection.
    >
    >The desktop is only using WinXP firewall and the notebook WinXp and McAfee
    >firewall. The notebook is able to see and access all folders on the desktop
    >with no problems. The desktop is able to see the notebook but not able to
    >access any folders. It keeps coming back with an error, unable to find
    >path, unauthorized, etc.
    >
    >I have tried to disable the McAfee firewall all together but doesn't seem to
    >help at all. In addition, if I try to use WEP or WPA security on the
    >desktop to establish a secure network, the network connection is completely
    >lost. The desktop will always come back with limited or no connection
    >error. So as it stands, the only way I can get the networking working is to
    >disable security all together. Its driving me crazy ... since I'm no
    >networking guru.
    >
    >Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing or doing wrong. Any info
    >would be appreciated. If you can help, please explain it in a way this
    >novice will understand it. Thank you.
    >
    >P.S. Sorry if this post was sent twice.

+ Reply to Thread