Swtch or Router for existing Cisco Router/T1 setup? - Network

This is a discussion on Swtch or Router for existing Cisco Router/T1 setup? - Network ; I can use a few tips and advice on the way to go here. I currently have a T1 and a CISCO 2524 Router going into our computer room with a 8 port NetGear Switch for 6 servers. T1 --> ...

  1. Swtch or Router for existing Cisco Router/T1 setup?

    I can use a few tips and advice on the way to go here.

    I currently have a T1 and a CISCO 2524 Router going into our computer room
    with a 8 port NetGear Switch for 6 servers.

    T1 --> 2524 Router --> NetGear Switch --> 6 computers

    I need to link up 4 more computers so I need to get a bigger switch or chain
    a few switches.

    But I thinking I may want to take the opportunity to probably get a
    VPN/Firewall Switch or Router and not sure if I need a router since I
    already have one. I am also thinking of moving our parallel port laser
    printer off one the servers to one of these Print Server ports I been
    seeing.

    I guess, I am wondering what is better or easier (less cost as well):

    T1 -> 2524 -> VPN/FireWall Switch or Router?

    +-> 8 NetGear Switch -> 7 computers

    +-> 8 port NetGear Switch
    -> Print Server?
    -> 3 computers

    Recommended VPN/Firewall Switch or Router?

    Other questions:

    I see switches/routers for WAN connections DSL/Cable. I take it I can't plug
    in my T1 in this WAN port and the Cisco router is necessary for a T1?

    How does that printer server work? Is it assigned a LAN address that I then
    need to map to from the other computers?

    Thanks for any tips.

  2. Re: Swtch or Router for existing Cisco Router/T1 setup?

    You need a router that is T-1 capable. The SOHO type routers that you're
    looking at are not. The 2524 is just fine for what you want to do,
    although newer models will allow the use of the firewall and/or IDS
    feature sets as well.

    You should be doing 2 things. One adding a firewall, you can use one of
    the small appliance type firewalls like a SonicWall or one of the ones
    from Symantec. Alternatively you could use a host based firewall like a
    SonicWall, although that requires a fair amount of skill to deploy.Either
    will be just fine for a small number of connections.
    Additionally you will need to add switch ports. You could just buy
    another small switch like the one that you have and connect them together
    using the uplink port. The better soultion would be to buy a 24 port
    switch, and ideally one thats managable. Cisco 2924's are going pretty
    reasonably on Ebay.

    As far as the print server goes, if its an HP printer (or most other
    lasers), just buy an external JetDirect. Its the fastest and easiest
    solution, and doesn't cost a ton either.

    "Mark" wrote in

    > I can use a few tips and advice on the way to go here.
    >
    > I currently have a T1 and a CISCO 2524 Router going into our computer
    > room with a 8 port NetGear Switch for 6 servers.
    >
    > T1 --> 2524 Router --> NetGear Switch --> 6 computers
    >
    > I need to link up 4 more computers so I need to get a bigger switch or
    > chain a few switches.
    >
    > But I thinking I may want to take the opportunity to probably get a
    > VPN/Firewall Switch or Router and not sure if I need a router since I
    > already have one. I am also thinking of moving our parallel port
    > laser printer off one the servers to one of these Print Server ports I
    > been seeing.
    >
    > I guess, I am wondering what is better or easier (less cost as well):
    >
    > T1 -> 2524 -> VPN/FireWall Switch or Router?
    > |
    > +-> 8 NetGear Switch -> 7 computers
    > |
    > +-> 8 port NetGear Switch
    > -> Print Server?
    > -> 3 computers
    >

    > Recommended VPN/Firewall Switch or Router?
    >
    > Other questions:
    >
    > I see switches/routers for WAN connections DSL/Cable. I take it I
    > can't plug in my T1 in this WAN port and the Cisco router is necessary
    > for a T1?
    >
    > How does that printer server work? Is it assigned a LAN address that
    > I then need to map to from the other computers?
    >
    > Thanks for any tips.

+ Reply to Thread