Can't keep a steady wireless connection - Network

This is a discussion on Can't keep a steady wireless connection - Network ; Hello Several months ago I bought Linksys WUSB54G adapter to connect my 2-nd desktop computer wirelessly to internet.But,unforunately, the whole thing works very poor.It has veeeery slow transfer speed: usually like 100-150k (tested at www.toast.net ) instead of 800k and ...

  1. Can't keep a steady wireless connection

    Hello

    Several months ago I bought Linksys WUSB54G adapter to connect my 2-nd
    desktop
    computer wirelessly to internet.But,unforunately, the whole thing works very
    poor.It has veeeery slow transfer speed: usually like 100-150k (tested
    at www.toast.net) instead of 800k and more. Some webpages open more
    than 1 minute.No changes even if I put adapter very close to
    router.(Computer and internet works great when connected by cable)
    The connection becomes slower and slower and less steady, and after 1-2 days
    stops totally.Then I have to reset(turn off/on) the router and connection
    appears again.And so on this way since 5 months.

    I think i checked everything: system reinstallation, antivir soft, Spybot,
    Ad-aware,register
    cleaning, delete cookies,reinstalling adapter`s soft, changing
    adapter`s channels, resetting router etc.etc.

    I turned off all radio devices which could interfere.

    I spent several hours talking
    to Sympatico and Linksys tech support staff trying to resolve problem - with
    no
    effect.Then I exchanged Speedstream router(now I have 5220 model) -
    situation became even worse.

    Maybe something wrong with adapter? Can you give me a hint?
    I would really appreciate any help with this one.

    AMD 1800+, 512MbRam, HD 80GB, asRock mainboard
    System:Windows XP SP2
    ISP:Bell Sympatico, High speed
    SpeedStream router provided by Sympatico.
    Straight line distance router-adapter ~ 10 feet, through ceiling.

    Apologising for my poor english, with regards
    Adam Plonski
    adampl@sympatico.ca

  2. Re: Can't keep a steady wireless connection

    Karol Moniuszko wrote:
    > Several months ago I bought Linksys WUSB54G adapter to connect my 2-nd
    > desktop computer wirelessly to internet.But,unforunately, the whole thing
    > works very poor.

    You may be using the same channel as someone else in the area. Try changing
    it.

    --
    Geoffrey Welsh
    Never leave until tomorrow what can wait until next week.

+ Reply to Thread