Sharing Internet access - Network

This is a discussion on Sharing Internet access - Network ; Hi, I have a Dell Dimension connecting to the net with a Belkin USB wireless adapter. I would like to use the ethernet port to share this access to another computer (a Mac without USB or Airport). Is this possible? ...

  1. Sharing Internet access

    Hi,
    I have a Dell Dimension connecting to the net with a Belkin USB wireless
    adapter. I would like to use the ethernet port to share this access to
    another computer (a Mac without USB or Airport). Is this possible? Do I
    need special software?
    Thanks,
    Michael

  2. Re: Sharing Internet access

    Michael wrote in news:BF1E6C21.36A9%vze57249
    @verizon.net:

    > Hi,
    > I have a Dell Dimension connecting to the net with a Belkin USB wireless
    > adapter. I would like to use the ethernet port to share this access to
    > another computer (a Mac without USB or Airport). Is this possible? Do I
    > need special software?
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    You can use internet connection sharing on the PC, but the more practical
    route would be to purchase a router. Small SOHO routers for juist this
    purpose can be found at your local BestBuy or other similar store for
    <$50.00 and it is pretty much plug and play. These will also give you some
    basic firewall capabilities.

  3. Re: Sharing Internet access

    in article Xns96ADAAEB39A3Dsecretsquirrel69yaho@216.196.97.13 1, Secret
    Squirrel at none@biteme.com wrote on 8/9/05 4:48 PM:

    > You can use internet connection sharing on the PC, but the more practical
    > route would be to purchase a router. Small SOHO routers for juist this
    > purpose can be found at your local BestBuy or other similar store for
    > <$50.00 and it is pretty much plug and play. These will also give you some
    > basic firewall capabilities.

    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have a router, connected to an 802.11b
    wireless access point, transmitting internet access to the Dell. There is
    no easy wiring route to the Dell or Mac in question. Therefore, I want to
    use internet sharing or something of that sort. How do I set this up?

  4. Re: Sharing Internet access

    in article BF1E99BF.36AD%vze57249@verizon.net, Michael at
    vze57249@verizon.net wrote on 8/9/05 5:34 PM:

    > How do I set this up?

    OK, don't answer that, I figured it out.

+ Reply to Thread