Newbie Question about networking! Should be simple for you guys. - Network

This is a discussion on Newbie Question about networking! Should be simple for you guys. - Network ; I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router and Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch. Is it possible to "see" the other computer when I am working on 1 of ...

  1. Newbie Question about networking! Should be simple for you guys.

    I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router and
    Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch.

    Is it possible to "see" the other computer when I am working on 1 of them?
    Can I network them somehow? I want to be working on Computer A and be able
    to copy a file to Computer B. Is this possible?

    Thanks for the help.

    -KOH

  2. Re: Newbie Question about networking! Should be simple for you guys.

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:21:16 -0400, KingOfHearts wrote:
    > I have 2 computers sharing internet connection via a Linksys Router and
    > Cable Modem. I switch back and forth between them using a KVM switch.
    >
    > Is it possible to "see" the other computer when I am working on 1 of them?

    I would suggest installing VNC (e.g. tightvnc.org) or setting up Remote
    Desktop on them. Then you can use one while the KVM is set to the other.

    > Can I network them somehow? I want to be working on Computer A and be able
    > to copy a file to Computer B. Is this possible?

    The newer betas of TightVNC will do file sharing.

    More conventionally, if they're both Windows boxes of roughly the same
    vintage (e.g. Windows XP, or '98/ME, or NT/2K) you should be able to
    see them both under "My Network Places" / "Entire Network". You can set
    up sharing the in the context menu (right-click) of each folder you want to
    share.

    [If you have an older-than-XP machine, replace "My Network Places" with
    "Network Neighborhood" and possibly "folder" with "directory".]

    If you have a non-Windows machine, you can install a standards-based
    application like an FTP server, do a user login, and transfer that way.
    This is what I'd do for *nix, Linux, or MacOS... though theoretically
    TightVNC would probably do file transfers for those as well.

    Best luck,
    -TC
    --
    swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply