V.35 -> Ethernet - Network

This is a discussion on V.35 -> Ethernet - Network ; I've got an Adtran TSU 120 unit that's been supplied to me by a telecom. vendor. It's "splitting" a factional T1 between voice & data (the voice part is working & taken care of already). The data is, from what ...

  1. V.35 -> Ethernet

    I've got an Adtran TSU 120 unit that's been supplied to me by a telecom.
    vendor. It's "splitting" a factional T1 between voice & data (the voice
    part is working & taken care of already). The data is, from what I've been
    told, "ready to go" with a few IP's waiting for me. All I have to do is
    "hook up the data side". Sounds easy!

    Luckily I'm not a complete and utter newbie; I do at least deal with TCP
    routing on a regular basis. The current topology we use to access the net
    from our LAN is very easy; a DSL line comes into a simple little 4-port DSL
    modem. There are various ethernet devices (one of which being a NAT router)
    plugged into the DSL modem's ethernet ports, utilizing the static IPs.

    So all I need to do, in essence, is replace the "DSL" part of all this with
    the "fractional T1 data line" part.

    What I would envision is (assuming there really is a live data line coming
    into the Adtran unit already, and all I have to do is plug it in), is to go
    out, from the back of my Adtran's V.35 port (which I assume is where the
    data is), and bring that into a switch of some exotic variety that I can
    subsequently plug my ethernet devices into. Sort of like what I do with the
    DSL currently.

    My primary issue is finding hardware that meets my needs. It makes me
    suspect I'm going about this all wrong. What am I missing here, what should
    I be looking for in hardware to pull this off? Until I figure it out, I
    have synchronous 768k data line just sitting there doing nothing, waiting to
    be connected to my stuff. I bipped around the internet looking for V.35
    hubs & switches but end up with some pretty esoteric stuff that I don't
    think I'm looking for. Getting confused...

  2. Re: V.35 -> Ethernet

    Workgroups wrote:
    > I've got an Adtran TSU 120 unit that's been supplied to me by a telecom.
    > vendor. It's "splitting" a factional T1 between voice & data (the voice
    > part is working & taken care of already). The data is, from what I've been
    > told, "ready to go" with a few IP's waiting for me. All I have to do is
    > "hook up the data side". Sounds easy!
    >
    > Luckily I'm not a complete and utter newbie; I do at least deal with TCP
    > routing on a regular basis. The current topology we use to access the net
    > from our LAN is very easy; a DSL line comes into a simple little 4-port DSL
    > modem. There are various ethernet devices (one of which being a NAT router)
    > plugged into the DSL modem's ethernet ports, utilizing the static IPs.
    >
    > So all I need to do, in essence, is replace the "DSL" part of all this with
    > the "fractional T1 data line" part.
    >
    > What I would envision is (assuming there really is a live data line coming
    > into the Adtran unit already, and all I have to do is plug it in), is to go
    > out, from the back of my Adtran's V.35 port (which I assume is where the
    > data is), and bring that into a switch of some exotic variety that I can
    > subsequently plug my ethernet devices into. Sort of like what I do with the
    > DSL currently.
    >
    > My primary issue is finding hardware that meets my needs. It makes me
    > suspect I'm going about this all wrong. What am I missing here, what should
    > I be looking for in hardware to pull this off? Until I figure it out, I
    > have synchronous 768k data line just sitting there doing nothing, waiting to
    > be connected to my stuff. I bipped around the internet looking for V.35
    > hubs & switches but end up with some pretty esoteric stuff that I don't
    > think I'm looking for. Getting confused...

    What we have used at work is an Adtran CSU/DSU which takes in the t-1
    connection, outputs v.35 to a Cisco router (little 1600 series thing);
    the Cisco outputs Ethernet (std rj-45). Pretty common for business class
    routers to have v.35 connections (some now have the csu/dsu built in the
    router box also)
    gr

+ Reply to Thread