network and dsl - Network

This is a discussion on network and dsl - Network ; I have two computers, LINUX - XP, connected via a switch. I use static IP address set up on Linux. The network was working. Then I added a DSL modem, connecting it to the switch. I can get on the ...

  1. network and dsl

    I have two computers, LINUX - XP, connected via a switch. I use static IP address set up on Linux.
    The network was working. Then I added a DSL modem, connecting it to the switch. I can get on the
    internet on the XP, but I lost the connection between the two computers. I have not set up a
    internet connection with LINUX. When connected to the internet the modem assigns a IP address for
    the XP computer. When I disable the internet connection, the connection between the computers is
    restored.

    How can get the internet connection and the two computer connection at the same time?

    geder

  2. Re: network and dsl

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:46:02 GMT, geder s dorf wrote:

    Please set Forte Free Agent to wrap at 72 characters per line.
    Some people will not respond if they have to reformat your request.

    > I have two computers, LINUX - XP, connected via a switch. I use
    > static IP address set up on Linux.
    >
    > The network was working. Then I added a DSL modem, connecting it to
    > the switch. I can get on the internet on the XP, but I lost the
    > connection between the two computers.

    Yes. XP used dhcp and received different ip address and routing
    information. That prevents the linux box from seeing the XP box.

    > I have not set up a internet
    > connection with LINUX. When connected to the internet the modem
    > assigns a IP address for the XP computer.

    More like the modem gets an ip address from your isp.

    >When I disable the internet connection, the connection between the
    >computers is restored.

    I do not know enough about windows to reply. Guessing you picked the
    ip values which XP defaults to when it cannot access the net.

    > How can get the internet connection and the two computer connection
    >at the same time?

    1. Buy another ip address from your ISP.
    2. Buy a Network Address Translation (NAT) router. That allows all
    boxes connected to it to use the one ip address supplied by your ISP.
    3. Configure one of the boxes to be a gateway for the other box. For
    hardware layout

  3. Re: network and dsl

    geder s dorf wrote:

    > I have two computers, LINUX - XP, connected via a switch. I use static IP
    > address set up on Linux.
    > The network was working. Then I added a DSL modem, connecting it to the
    > switch. I can get on the
    > internet on the XP, but I lost the connection between the two computers.
    > I have not set up a
    > internet connection with LINUX. When connected to the internet the modem
    > assigns a IP address for
    > the XP computer. When I disable the internet connection, the connection
    > between the computers is restored.
    >
    > How can get the internet connection and the two computer connection at the
    > same time?
    >
    > geder

    Get one of those firewall/router boxes. When you connect to the internet,
    the computer is assigned an address that's likely different from what you
    use on your network. Also, you won't be able to use both computers on the
    internet, unless you've paid for two IP addresses. A firewall/router box
    will allow you to have your home network and share a single internet
    access.

+ Reply to Thread