Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge? - Network

This is a discussion on Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge? - Network ; Hi all, I just have a question to ask...Thanks in advance to someone who might know how to do this. I have 2 Linksys Routers, one WRT54GS as a main router, and one WRT54G that I've been trying to act ...

  1. Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge?

    Hi all,

    I just have a question to ask...Thanks in advance to someone who might know how to do this.

    I have 2 Linksys Routers, one WRT54GS as a main router, and one WRT54G that I've been trying to act as a wireless bridge. Supposedly I needed to upgrade the firmware with (legal) firmware called "Alchemy" offered by Sveasoft. These are the directions I followed to get to this point: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y2652215B

    Configuration:

    1) Main Router Upstairs: WRT54GS: Statically 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 with Linksys Firmware and connected to a cable modem via the WAN port.
    1b) This main router connects to a Windows XP computer upstairs called "\\TYAN" given an IP Address via DHCP (I'd rather it not be static, but if it must be, then it must be) which is a File and Print server.

    2) Secondary WRT54G Router Downstairs acting as a Wireless Bridge with Alchemy Firmware, configured step-by-step via user1234's guide on the top of the page in the above link. This secondary router currently has the IP Address of 192.168.0.129/255.255.255.128. If this address needs to be changed, I am okay with this.

    (I have also tried making this router 192.168.1.129/255.255.255.0, but the connected computers would not appear to connect to the Internet.) The secondary router's DHCP server would give connected computers downstairs IP addresses above 192.168.1.140 per user1234's directions.

    The question is: I would like to give the secondary router's connected computers access to simply type \\TYAN instead of typing whatever IP address that computer currently has, to access its shared files and printer. The IP address seems accessible, but not the name of the computer. How can this be done?

    Is this (hopefully) doable? If so, may I ask what steps are needed to do this? Thank you sooo much!!

    James

  2. Re: Linksys Router as a Wireless Bridge?

    "James McCoughlin" wrote in message news:iHEue.208$ZD2.198@fe09.lga...
[...]

    ---

    Hi James

    Sounds like the PC isn't resolving UNC names to IP addresses. A simple idea would be to insert an entry in the PCs HOSTS file with the name and the IP address of the F&P server.

+ Reply to Thread