Wireless HUB - Network

This is a discussion on Wireless HUB - Network ; Dear All, I am not sure whether this is the correct newsgroup, but I will take my chances I have a quick question/need for advice regarding my wireless network. OLD situation: 3 systems (2 PCs + 1 laptop) connected to ...

  1. Wireless HUB

    Dear All,

    I am not sure whether this is the correct newsgroup, but I will take
    my chances

    I have a quick question/need for advice regarding my wireless network.

    OLD situation: 3 systems (2 PCs + 1 laptop) connected to ADSL
    router[switch]/modem which is connected to the Internet. The three
    systems make up my internal network (192.168.x.x). On this network, I
    also have a dedicated (hardware) print server which is connected to my
    laser printer.

    NEW situation: wireless AP/Router connected to Broadband modem.
    Wireless AP + Modem are physically placed in my living room, due to
    cable length. However, my systems are in a different room. I am not
    willing to have a UTP cable of about 10 meters through my house to
    connect the wireless AP/ router to my original ADSL switch. My laptop
    has a built-in wireless card. So no problem here.

    Question is related to the other two systems + print server. These
    systems are not wireless. The two PC's can be made wireless by a
    wireless card, but the print server cannot.

    I wonder what is the best solution:
    1/ Buy another wireless AP which I will physically place in the same
    room where the two systems + print server are. Systems + print server
    will be connected this AP/router and this AP will have an AP-to-AP
    connection to the wireless AP which is connected to the broadband
    modem in the living room.

    2/ Buy a wireless hub/switch (if that exists?) which connects the two
    systems + printer. So this is the same as option 1, but using a
    wireless hub/switch instead of a different (second) wireless
    AP/Router.

    3/ Buy two wireless cards for the two PCs and connect the printer
    directly to one of the PCs, making that PC acting as print server (so
    bypassing the hardware print server)

    What do you think would be the best option? Any experience with this
    kind of setup? Maybe there is also another option?

    Thanks in advance for your time!
    KR,
    William

  2. Re: Wireless HUB

    Willy wrote in

    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am not sure whether this is the correct newsgroup, but I will take
    > my chances
    >
    > I have a quick question/need for advice regarding my wireless network.
    >
    > OLD situation: 3 systems (2 PCs + 1 laptop) connected to ADSL
    > router[switch]/modem which is connected to the Internet. The three
    > systems make up my internal network (192.168.x.x). On this network, I
    > also have a dedicated (hardware) print server which is connected to my
    > laser printer.
    >
    > NEW situation: wireless AP/Router connected to Broadband modem.
    > Wireless AP + Modem are physically placed in my living room, due to
    > cable length. However, my systems are in a different room. I am not
    > willing to have a UTP cable of about 10 meters through my house to
    > connect the wireless AP/ router to my original ADSL switch. My laptop
    > has a built-in wireless card. So no problem here.
    >
    > Question is related to the other two systems + print server. These
    > systems are not wireless. The two PC's can be made wireless by a
    > wireless card, but the print server cannot.
    >
    > I wonder what is the best solution:
    > 1/ Buy another wireless AP which I will physically place in the same
    > room where the two systems + print server are. Systems + print server
    > will be connected this AP/router and this AP will have an AP-to-AP
    > connection to the wireless AP which is connected to the broadband
    > modem in the living room.
    >
    > 2/ Buy a wireless hub/switch (if that exists?) which connects the two
    > systems + printer. So this is the same as option 1, but using a
    > wireless hub/switch instead of a different (second) wireless
    > AP/Router.
    >
    > 3/ Buy two wireless cards for the two PCs and connect the printer
    > directly to one of the PCs, making that PC acting as print server (so
    > bypassing the hardware print server)
    >
    > What do you think would be the best option? Any experience with this
    > kind of setup? Maybe there is also another option?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your time!
    > KR,
    > William

    There are lots of ways to do this.
    The simplest ways would be a wireless print server like
    http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=33&scid=37 for example,
    and some wireless cards for the pcs

    An alternative and possibly better solution is to use a wireless bridge
    and then a switch behind it.

    This one incorporates both into a single box

    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=615&scid=35

+ Reply to Thread