Launching program on network computer - Network

This is a discussion on Launching program on network computer - Network ; Hi Folks, I want to launch a bat file on a network computer, so that it executes on that computer and not on the computer I am using, I know I can use a VNC software but I want to ...

  1. Launching program on network computer

    Hi Folks,
    I want to launch a bat file on a network computer, so that it executes on
    that computer and not on the computer I am using, I know I can use a VNC
    software but I want to avoid that if possible as the only thing I want to do
    is to shut down the other pc.
    Regards,
    Ian

  2. Re: Launching program on network computer

    "Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    > I want to launch a bat file on a network computer, so that it executes on
    > that computer and not on the computer I am using, I know I can use a VNC
    > software but I want to avoid that if possible as the only thing I want to
    > do is to shut down the other pc.
    > Regards,
    > Ian

    A batch file will not work, try the following:

    1. Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
    2. On the Action menu, press Connect to another computer ....
    3. Double-click a computer in the list.
    4. Right-click Computer Management () and press Properties.
    5. On the Advanced tab, press Startup and Recovery.
    6. Press the Shut Down button.
    7. Select an Action:
    Log off Current User
    Shut Down
    Restart
    Power down (if supported)
    8. Select a Force Apps Closed action and press OK

    Or you can follow these guides
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/MS_DO...wn-t15700.html

  3. Re: Launching program on network computer

    Hello,
    Thank you for the suggestion and I apologise for not being clearer in my
    post, the networked computer I want to shut down is runnin Win98SE, the main
    machine is XPPro.
    Regards,
    Ian

    "abc" wrote in message
    news:mCyle.40653$G8.15444@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...

    > "Ian D. Weatherall" wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >> I want to launch a bat file on a network computer, so that it executes on
    >> that computer and not on the computer I am using, I know I can use a VNC
    >> software but I want to avoid that if possible as the only thing I want to
    >> do is to shut down the other pc.
    >> Regards,
    >> Ian
    >>

    > A batch file will not work, try the following:
    >
    > 1. Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
    > 2. On the Action menu, press Connect to another computer ....
    > 3. Double-click a computer in the list.
    > 4. Right-click Computer Management () and press Properties.
    > 5. On the Advanced tab, press Startup and Recovery.
    > 6. Press the Shut Down button.
    > 7. Select an Action:
    > Log off Current User
    > Shut Down
    > Restart
    > Power down (if supported)
    > 8. Select a Force Apps Closed action and press OK
    >
    > Or you can follow these guides
    > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/MS_DO...wn-t15700.html

  4. Re: Launching program on network computer

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 23:19:46 -0400, Ian D. Weatherall wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Thank you for the suggestion and I apologise for not being clearer in my
    > post, the networked computer I want to shut down is runnin Win98SE, the main
    > machine is XPPro.
    > Regards,
    > Ian

    I'm surprised no one has recommended Cygwin with OpenSSH. You should
    be able to do a small installation and set openssh to run in the background.
    I suspect you'll need the cgywin DLL, cygrunsrv and openssh, though if
    you've got the disk space and time you may want everything just for fun.

    You should be able to execute your batch file from SSH, remotely
    calling "RebootMe.exe" or equivalent.

    Good luck,
    -TC
    --