can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router - Network

This is a discussion on can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router - Network ; I have a home set up with a cable modem and router with 3 win based systems attached. I set up port forwarding to open a port for ftp (21) and forwarded it to one of my systems. Now from ...

  1. can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    I have a home set up with a cable modem and router with 3 win based systems
    attached. I set up port forwarding to open a port for ftp (21) and forwarded
    it to one of my systems.

    Now from another system on the network I think I should be able to ftp to
    the ip address that my router is currently using (from my isp) and enter
    that way. I know I can ftp directly to the machine but I'm trying to test to
    see if the port forwarding is working correctly.

    In essense I'm coming from the kitchen and trying to get to the living room
    through the front door sounds crazy but I'm certain that I was able to do
    that with my old netgear router. My new linksys doesn't like that idea for
    some reason .

    Any thoughts?

    thanks

  2. Re: can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:47:11 -0400, Rich S. wrote:
    > I have a home set up with a cable modem and router with 3 win based systems
    > attached. I set up port forwarding to open a port for ftp (21) and forwarded
    > it to one of my systems.

    Two thoughts:

    1) you should open port 22 for FTP. As I recall, enabling port forwarding
    for "FTP" on my Netgear router does this automatically.

    2) Some routers will not let you connect through the outside address from
    an internal address. My Netgear MR314 was this way, though my Netgear
    WGR614r3 and r4 are not. YMMV.

    You could statically assign the address of your FTP server and then
    directly connect (e.g. 192.168.1.250), though I assume there's some reason
    you don't want to do that.

    Best luck,
    -TC
    --
    swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  3. Re: can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    don't you mean 21 instead of 22?

    In any case, I'm not sure what's going on with this router. I set it up
    Sunday then went to work and it worked ok then I tried it again on Monday
    and it doesn't work yet the router seems to be operating fine in all other
    aspects.

    "Tim C" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 May 2005 10:47:11 -0400, Rich S. wrote:
    >> I have a home set up with a cable modem and router with 3 win based
    >> systems
    >> attached. I set up port forwarding to open a port for ftp (21) and
    >> forwarded
    >> it to one of my systems.

    > Two thoughts:
    >
    > 1) you should open port 22 for FTP. As I recall, enabling port forwarding
    > for "FTP" on my Netgear router does this automatically.
    >
    > 2) Some routers will not let you connect through the outside address from
    > an internal address. My Netgear MR314 was this way, though my Netgear
    > WGR614r3 and r4 are not. YMMV.
    >
    > You could statically assign the address of your FTP server and then
    > directly connect (e.g. 192.168.1.250), though I assume there's some reason
    > you don't want to do that.
    >
    > Best luck,
    > -TC
    > --
    > swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  4. Re: can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:50:22 -0400, Rich S. wrote:
    > don't you mean 21 instead of 22?

    A standard FTP connection will use both. Sorry, should have clarified
    that I meant in addition to 21, it does look kind of fuzzy.

    > In any case, I'm not sure what's going on with this router. I set it up
    > Sunday then went to work and it worked ok then I tried it again on Monday
    > and it doesn't work yet the router seems to be operating fine in all other
    > aspects.

    Good luck with that, might want to check on a firmware upgrade.

    As a possibly-related aside, I've had all kinds of trouble with my
    wireless connection at home when I've come back from work. For some
    reason XPsp2 gets really confused, and usually I have to go to the
    status page and "repair" (i.e. renew the IP address). Other times it
    works perfectly.

    Good luck and all that,
    -TC
    --
    swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  5. Re: can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    My duuhhhh . I had mapped it to the wrong machine. I think it was correct on
    Sunday then I rebooted the ftp server for some other testing and it picked
    up the wrong ip address. I'll have to see how I can set up static ip
    addresses in my linksys, its not clear but I'll check the help.

    I have the same issue with my lap top. I have to hit repair most of the time
    and it usually is ok. Once in a while I might have to do it twice or reboot
    but it's rare. My old netgear wireless was much worse.

    Thanks

    "Tim C" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:50:22 -0400, Rich S. wrote:
    >> don't you mean 21 instead of 22?

    > A standard FTP connection will use both. Sorry, should have clarified
    > that I meant in addition to 21, it does look kind of fuzzy.
    >
    >> In any case, I'm not sure what's going on with this router. I set it up
    >> Sunday then went to work and it worked ok then I tried it again on Monday
    >> and it doesn't work yet the router seems to be operating fine in all
    >> other
    >> aspects.

    > Good luck with that, might want to check on a firmware upgrade.
    >
    > As a possibly-related aside, I've had all kinds of trouble with my
    > wireless connection at home when I've come back from work. For some
    > reason XPsp2 gets really confused, and usually I have to go to the
    > status page and "repair" (i.e. renew the IP address). Other times it
    > works perfectly.
    >
    > Good luck and all that,
    > -TC
    > --
    > swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  6. Re: can I ftp into my own network from within my network via the router

    "Rich S." wrote in news:S_mdnQdWtthXEQnfRVn-oQ@comcast.com:

    > My duuhhhh . I had mapped it to the wrong machine. I think it was
    > correct on Sunday then I rebooted the ftp server for some other
    > testing and it picked up the wrong ip address. I'll have to see how I
    > can set up static ip addresses in my linksys, its not clear but I'll
    > check the help.
    >
    > I have the same issue with my lap top. I have to hit repair most of
    > the time and it usually is ok. Once in a while I might have to do it
    > twice or reboot but it's rare. My old netgear wireless was much worse.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Tim C" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:50:22 -0400, Rich S. wrote:
    >>> don't you mean 21 instead of 22?

    >> A standard FTP connection will use both. Sorry, should have
    >> clarified that I meant in addition to 21, it does look kind of fuzzy.
    >>

    >>> In any case, I'm not sure what's going on with this router. I set it
    >>> up Sunday then went to work and it worked ok then I tried it again
    >>> on Monday and it doesn't work yet the router seems to be operating
    >>> fine in all other
    >>> aspects.

    >> Good luck with that, might want to check on a firmware upgrade.
    >>
    >> As a possibly-related aside, I've had all kinds of trouble with my
    >> wireless connection at home when I've come back from work. For some
    >> reason XPsp2 gets really confused, and usually I have to go to the
    >> status page and "repair" (i.e. renew the IP address). Other times it
    >> works perfectly.
    >>
    >> Good luck and all that,
    >> -TC
    >> --
    >> swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

    2 things. First you need to either open port 21 AND 22, OR you need to
    set your FTP client to use passive mode in which case only 21 will do.
    Second to use static ips you can either A. disable DHCP on the router, or
    B assign addresses to the workstations which are on the same subnet, but
    outside the DHCP scope.
    For example you can assign DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.1 to
    192.168.1.50 and then assign static addresses starting at 192.168.1.51
    and it will work just fine.

+ Reply to Thread