XP sp networking problem - Network

This is a discussion on XP sp networking problem - Network ; Hi Jusg got 4 new PC's with win XP pro (sp2) loaded and want to network them together so used the wizard. Ran the wizard on the first machine and followed suit on the other three. 1st machine If I ...

  1. XP sp networking problem

    Hi

    Jusg got 4 new PC's with win XP pro (sp2) loaded and want to network them
    together so used the wizard. Ran the wizard on the first machine and
    followed suit on the other three.

    1st machine
    If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    machine only (shared folders).

    2nd 3rd and 4th machines
    If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    machine and 2nd 3rd and 4th machine.
    If you try to access the 1st machine it says you dont have permission etc.
    You can access the 2nd 3rd and 4th machines shared folders, no problem.

    1st machine
    I've tried all the obvious places to enable sharings on machine 1 (so
    machines 2,3 &4 can see it) with no luck.
    I assume that I must have found the main share buttons, cos if I look in 'My
    network places' on machine 1, I can see the workgroup and the shared folders
    (on its self).

    Am I missing something? because the wizzard seems to have.

    regards
    Stephen

    --

    The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
    legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or

  2. Re: XP sp networking problem

    Stephen Preston wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Jusg got 4 new PC's with win XP pro (sp2) loaded and want to network them
    > together so used the wizard. Ran the wizard on the first machine and
    > followed suit on the other three.
    >
    > 1st machine
    > If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    > machine only (shared folders).
    >
    > 2nd 3rd and 4th machines
    > If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    > machine and 2nd 3rd and 4th machine.
    > If you try to access the 1st machine it says you dont have permission etc.
    > You can access the 2nd 3rd and 4th machines shared folders, no problem.
    >
    > 1st machine
    > I've tried all the obvious places to enable sharings on machine 1 (so
    > machines 2,3 &4 can see it) with no luck.
    > I assume that I must have found the main share buttons, cos if I look in 'My
    > network places' on machine 1, I can see the workgroup and the shared folders
    > (on its self).
    >
    > Am I missing something? because the wizzard seems to have.
    >
    > regards
    > Stephen
    >

    > --
    >

    > The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
    > legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
    > entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
    > must not disclose, copy, circulate in any other way use or rely on this
    > information: you should contact the System Manager at postmaster@its-l.co.uk
    > and delete the material from any computer.
    > The contents of this email are those of the individual and do not
    > necessarily represent the views of the company.
    > Whilst this message and any attachments have been virus checked you are
    > strongly advised to ensure that your own anti-virus procedures are in place.
    > We accept no liability for any losses resulting from infected e-mail
    > transmissions.

    Can you ping the other machines from the 1st computer? Or vice versa?
    Also, are there any firewalls (including the one built into sp2) that
    could be stopping traffic? You might also want to check the security
    settings on the shares to make sure Everyone (or whatever usernames) is
    in the group that can access it.

  3. Re: XP sp networking problem

    I have that problem too. With 3 computers. I can ping each and every. I
    same problem trying to access the "main Computer. Access denied" You may
    not have permission etc....

    Dennis
    "Stephen Preston" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Jusg got 4 new PC's with win XP pro (sp2) loaded and want to network them
    > together so used the wizard. Ran the wizard on the first machine and
    > followed suit on the other three.
    >
    > 1st machine
    > If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    > machine only (shared folders).
    >
    > 2nd 3rd and 4th machines
    > If I look in 'My network places' I can see the workgroup and the first
    > machine and 2nd 3rd and 4th machine.
    > If you try to access the 1st machine it says you dont have permission etc.
    > You can access the 2nd 3rd and 4th machines shared folders, no problem.
    >
    > 1st machine
    > I've tried all the obvious places to enable sharings on machine 1 (so
    > machines 2,3 &4 can see it) with no luck.
    > I assume that I must have found the main share buttons, cos if I look in
    > 'My
    > network places' on machine 1, I can see the workgroup and the shared
    > folders
    > (on its self).
    >
    > Am I missing something? because the wizzard seems to have.
    >
    > regards
    > Stephen
    >

    > --
    >

    > The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
    > legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
    > entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
    > must not disclose, copy, circulate in any other way use or rely on this
    > information: you should contact the System Manager at
    > postmaster@its-l.co.uk
    > and delete the material from any computer.
    > The contents of this email are those of the individual and do not
    > necessarily represent the views of the company.
    > Whilst this message and any attachments have been virus checked you are
    > strongly advised to ensure that your own anti-virus procedures are in
    > place.
    > We accept no liability for any losses resulting from infected e-mail
    > transmissions.

+ Reply to Thread