Dumb Terminal setup - Network

This is a discussion on Dumb Terminal setup - Network ; Hello, I have a Home LAN and would like to access my computers from my garage workshop. Temperatures in there are relatively high and consequently I am a bit loathe to place a Workstation-CPU in there. What I'd like to ...

  1. Dumb Terminal setup

    Hello,

    I have a Home LAN and would like to access my computers from my garage
    workshop. Temperatures in there are relatively high and consequently I
    am a bit loathe to place a Workstation-CPU in there.

    What I'd like to do is place just a monitor, keyboard & mouse in there
    that can access the network.

    How can this best be accomplished

    Thanks

    -- Adam --

  2. Re: Dumb Terminal setup

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 07:32:36 -0700, Adam Smith wrote:
    > I have a Home LAN and would like to access my computers from my garage
    > workshop. Temperatures in there are relatively high and consequently I
    > am a bit loathe to place a Workstation-CPU in there.

    I had (until just recently) two 300MHz PCs in a small closet with
    effectively no ventilation; they ran fine until the power supply blew
    up in one... They might be more resistant to high external temperatures
    than you expect, especially if the computer isn't doing much processing.

    You might think about picking up an older laptop; they tend to run in
    fairly wide conditions. My first laptop (er, desktop with embedded
    B&W LCD) was a 16MHz '386 that lived through several arm-height drops
    and probably would have survived a couple of gunshots, heat is
    pretty much nothing.

    > What I'd like to do is place just a monitor, keyboard & mouse in there
    > that can access the network.

    On a more general note, you'll need some kind of thin client
    (thus processor) to do this over ethernet. You might consider digging
    up a long KVM cable and running it through the wall, we have several 6-8
    feet cables at work so they _are_ around... somewhere... but this requires
    running a cable through the wall.

    If you wind up with a cheap / slow / low-power computer, consider using
    VNC or remote desktop to access the real computers; it will probably be
    much more satisfying.

    Good luck,
    Tim

    --
    swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  3. Re: Dumb Terminal setup

    Thanks Tim,
    I was thinking of a thin client system but was unclear of the
    interfacing with the server / network

    Tim C wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 07:32:36 -0700, Adam Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Home LAN and would like to access my computers from my garage
    >>workshop. Temperatures in there are relatively high and consequently I
    >>am a bit loathe to place a Workstation-CPU in there.

    > I had (until just recently) two 300MHz PCs in a small closet with
    > effectively no ventilation; they ran fine until the power supply blew
    > up in one... They might be more resistant to high external temperatures
    > than you expect, especially if the computer isn't doing much processing.
    >
    > You might think about picking up an older laptop; they tend to run in
    > fairly wide conditions. My first laptop (er, desktop with embedded
    > B&W LCD) was a 16MHz '386 that lived through several arm-height drops
    > and probably would have survived a couple of gunshots, heat is
    > pretty much nothing.
    >

    >>What I'd like to do is place just a monitor, keyboard & mouse in there
    >>that can access the network.

    > On a more general note, you'll need some kind of thin client
    > (thus processor) to do this over ethernet. You might consider digging
    > up a long KVM cable and running it through the wall, we have several 6-8
    > feet cables at work so they _are_ around... somewhere... but this requires
    > running a cable through the wall.
    >
    > If you wind up with a cheap / slow / low-power computer, consider using
    > VNC or remote desktop to access the real computers; it will probably be
    > much more satisfying.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Tim

  4. Re: Dumb Terminal setup

    > You might consider digging
    > up a long KVM cable and running it through the wall

    you can do KVM over Cat5 these days also

+ Reply to Thread