Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate? - Network

This is a discussion on Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate? - Network ; I need a fast transfer rate for my home network. I am using the Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and so far I am not seeing 1000MB transfer rate between computer A and computer B. Computer B DOES ...

  1. Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?

    I need a fast transfer rate for my home network. I am using the
    Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and so
    far I am not seeing 1000MB transfer rate between computer A and
    computer B. Computer B DOES NOT access the Internet. I am using a
    crossover cable (CAT 5) to link both computers. Computer A has the
    Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and
    computer B is using an onboard NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Ethernet
    Adapter. Do both computer need identical NICs? How do I configure
    windows to transfer @1000MB?

    TIA!

  2. Re: Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?

    both network cards need to be able to do that speed
    the crossover cable also needs to be capable of that speed.......I think
    you'll need a CAT6...if I remember right.
    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    "Ronald Reitch LMT" wrote in message
    >I need a fast transfer rate for my home network. I am using the
    > Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and so
    > far I am not seeing 1000MB transfer rate between computer A and
    > computer B. Computer B DOES NOT access the Internet. I am using a
    > crossover cable (CAT 5) to link both computers. Computer A has the
    > Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and
    > computer B is using an onboard NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Ethernet
    > Adapter. Do both computer need identical NICs? How do I configure
    > windows to transfer @1000MB?
    >
    > TIA!

  3. Re: Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?

    Nah, Cat 5e is fine.

    What you need are disks and an os that is capable of presenting data to the
    network and to save it at the other end at that speed. Most disks seem to be
    about 30MB/s max ime.

    Steve

    "peterk" wrote in message
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/3.html
    > both network cards need to be able to do that speed
    > the crossover cable also needs to be capable of that speed.......I think
    > you'll need a CAT6...if I remember right.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    > safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    > sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    > used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    > "Ronald Reitch LMT" wrote in message
    > >I need a fast transfer rate for my home network. I am using the
    > > Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and so
    > > far I am not seeing 1000MB transfer rate between computer A and
    > > computer B. Computer B DOES NOT access the Internet. I am using a
    > > crossover cable (CAT 5) to link both computers. Computer A has the
    > > Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) and
    > > computer B is using an onboard NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Ethernet
    > > Adapter. Do both computer need identical NICs? How do I configure
    > > windows to transfer @1000MB?
    > >
    > > TIA!

  4. Re: Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?

    In article , peterk wrote:
    > the crossover cable also needs to be capable of that speed.......I think
    > you'll need a CAT6...if I remember right.

    Speaking of CAT6, is it to tougher work with than 5 or 5e? Any special
    tools or techniques needed for crimping connectors? I have to do some
    cabling, actually replacing an old CAT3 installation from the early
    '90s, and was thinking of using CAT6 this time around.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10 for email.)

  5. Difficulty of installing Cat6 cable? [Was: Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?]

    "Roger Blake" wrote in message

    > Speaking of CAT6, is it to tougher work with than 5 or 5e? Any special
    > tools or techniques needed for crimping connectors? I have to do some
    > cabling, actually replacing an old CAT3 installation from the early
    > '90s, and was thinking of using CAT6 this time around.

    Why do you not ask the question in the newsgroup news:comp.dcom.cabling ?

    One problem in using Cat6 cable in retrofit installations is that Cat6 is
    usually thicker than Cat5e. If you are pulling the cable into an old
    conduit, working with Cat5e may be easier.

    We have pulled new network cabling into 20 mm (outer diameter) plastic pipe
    conduits in Finnish appartement blocks, along side the old 2-pair telephone
    cable. I have recomended using Cat5e instead of Cat6 because of the smaller
    diameter of the cable.
    - http://www.helsinkiopen.net/shared_i....html#ethernet

    [Follow-ups set to c.d.cabling]

    --
    Petri Krohn
    Helsinki Neighborhood Networking Association

  6. Re: Networking-How do I get 1000MB transfer rate?

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:06:05 GMT, Roger Blake
    wrote:

    >In article , peterk wrote:
    >> the crossover cable also needs to be capable of that speed.......I think
    >> you'll need a CAT6...if I remember right.

    >Speaking of CAT6, is it to tougher work with than 5 or 5e? Any special
    >tools or techniques needed for crimping connectors? I have to do some
    >cabling, actually replacing an old CAT3 installation from the early
    >'90s, and was thinking of using CAT6 this time around.

    First, CAT5e is rated to 350M and CAT6 is rated to 550M or 1000M
    depending on what your source is. Second, CAT5e is built with a
    24-gauge wire whereas most CAT6 cabling is built with 23-gauge
    conductor wire. Finally, CAT6 is supposed to have improved performance
    and have greater immunity from noise and crosstalk. ( Improved wire
    separation - Gollum)

    This came from:
    http://expertanswercenter.techtarget...975086,00.html

    Cat5 is rated to 100M.
    Basically Cat6 just has a better transmission quality
    Since the actual termination ( splicing on the connectors) is the
    same it shouldn't be any more difficult to work with.

    HTH
    Gollum

+ Reply to Thread