In article <1114970425.426734.90500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
"Greenhorn" wrote:

> hi there
> if we use DHCP for assigning addresses for network interfaces, does
> the router verify all the messages and see if the packets have proper
> IP - MAC combination, is it an optional feature in todays routers. Does
> the relevant RFC state anything about it.

I've heard of switches that have security options for this type of
check, but not routers. The problem that a router has to deal with is
that the source of the traffic may be several hops away, in which case
the MAC will belong to the downstream router, not the source.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA