Sending a "Print to FILE:" file to a network printer - Network

This is a discussion on Sending a "Print to FILE:" file to a network printer - Network ; Hi. I am using WinXP Home at home and wish to print a document (prepared on my home machine) on a networked printer at work. Since my work computer does not have the document's application, I am planning to produce ...

  1. Sending a "Print to FILE:" file to a network printer

    Hi.
    I am using WinXP Home at home and wish to print a document (prepared on my
    home machine) on a networked printer at work. Since my work computer does
    not have the document's application, I am planning to produce a "Print to
    FILE:" file at home, take the file to work, and print it directly there. I
    have added the required FILE: printer at home using the Add Printer wizard
    and produced the "Print to FILE:" file using the application's Print
    Setup... and Print... dialogs. No problems there.

    In the past, I have always just used the old DOS command: "type
    C:\document.prn > prn" to send the document's print-file directly to a
    printer, and this still works fine with a local printer; but how can I send
    it to a _networked_ printer? I have tried experimenting at home using my
    networked laptop (which uses the printer attached to my desktop), but to no
    avail. I believe the old DOS commands expect the destination to be an actual
    port (eg. LPT1). Using the DOS "type" or "print" commands just causes the
    DOS window to hang. If I drop the print-file onto the shared printer icon on
    my laptop, it says it can't print it and suggests I use the document's
    application to print it (which of course is not available on that machine).
    The same happens if I add a shortcut to the shared printer to the SendTo
    folder and right-click the print-file and select Send To from the
    context menu.

    So, if anyone can suggest how to do the equivalent of "type C:\document.prn
    > prn" to a remote printer, I would be grateful.

  2. Re: Sending a "Print to FILE:" file to a network printer

    Silly me!

    After finding a great little routine for sending raw bytes to a local or
    remote printer (see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;138594 ) and writing
    up a quickie console program using the supplied routine, I was able to send
    the bytes in the 'Print to FILE:' file from both my desktop and networked
    laptop computers to the (shared) printer. Yay! In the course of this, I
    determined that the 'Print to FILE:' file I had previously tried to print
    from my laptop was based on the wrong print driver, and was apparently being
    completely ignored by the printer (no beeps, no gibberish, no nothing).
    Using a correct file and my program proved successful, so I went back and
    tried the old DOS 'type' command with redirection, and that worked like a
    charm too!

    Oh well, I got to refresh some of my old C skills!

+ Reply to Thread