Help please - home network problems! - Network

This is a discussion on Help please - home network problems! - Network ; Hi All Help please - I have an existing home network that has two machines both running Win2000 connected. The main PC is connected to a router via a LAN cable, the router has a wireless access point plugged into ...

  1. Help please - home network problems!

    Hi All

    Help please - I have an existing home network that has two machines both
    running Win2000 connected.
    The main PC is connected to a router via a LAN cable, the router has a
    wireless access point plugged into it with a LAN cable. The second PC has a
    wireless card that connects it to the network.

    This all works well - I have shared folders and am able to transfer / play
    files ect.. between the two machines.

    The problem is with my broadband connection that I want to share - the ADSL
    modem is connected to the main PC via USB. The modem has no LAN connector.

    When I share modem windows has to assign it a IP address but it is
    recommended that the wireless sets the IP automatically - network connection
    is then lost.

    I have configured the IP addresses on both machines manually in the same
    range and this allows the two pcs to see each other again - but the second
    machine does not go onto the net.

    Any ideas - before I go out and buy a ADSL router?

    Hope this all makes some sort of sense!

    Thanks

  2. Re: Help please - home network problems!

    John Smith wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Help please - I have an existing home network that has two machines both
    > running Win2000 connected.
    > The main PC is connected to a router via a LAN cable, the router has a
    > wireless access point plugged into it with a LAN cable. The second PC has a
    > wireless card that connects it to the network.
    >
    > This all works well - I have shared folders and am able to transfer / play
    > files ect.. between the two machines.
    >
    > The problem is with my broadband connection that I want to share - the ADSL
    > modem is connected to the main PC via USB. The modem has no LAN connector.
    >
    > When I share modem windows has to assign it a IP address but it is
    > recommended that the wireless sets the IP automatically - network connection
    > is then lost.
    >
    > I have configured the IP addresses on both machines manually in the same
    > range and this allows the two pcs to see each other again - but the second
    > machine does not go onto the net.
    >
    > Any ideas - before I go out and buy a ADSL router?
    >
    > Hope this all makes some sort of sense!
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't have ADSL, I'm on cable, but I think you need a new ADSL modem
    that has an ethernet connector. Then you can hook the router to the
    modem and all machines to the router. Then all machines should have
    access to the broadband service.

    The two (or more) machines should still be able to connect to each other.

    At least that is how it works here.

    John

  3. Re: Help please - home network problems!

    When you have a USB modem you need to install is an Internet Connection
    Sharing Server Proxy. Here are some links.

    1. Wingate- http://www.wingate.com

    2. Winroute Firewall- http://www.deerfield.com/products/winroute-firewall/

    3. WinProxy- http://www.winproxy.com/index.asp

    4. PPPShar- http://www.pppindia.com/intl/pppshar/

    5. CCProxy- http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/

    6. EzProxy-
    http://www.lavasoftware.net/en/conte...htm?AfID=12353

    7. Analogx Proxy-
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

    Robert....

    "John Smith" wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > Help please - I have an existing home network that has two machines both
    > running Win2000 connected.
    > The main PC is connected to a router via a LAN cable, the router has a
    > wireless access point plugged into it with a LAN cable. The second PC has
    > wireless card that connects it to the network.
    >
    > This all works well - I have shared folders and am able to transfer / play
    > files ect.. between the two machines.
    >
    > The problem is with my broadband connection that I want to share - the
    > ADSL
    > modem is connected to the main PC via USB. The modem has no LAN
    > connector.
    >
    > When I share modem windows has to assign it a IP address but it is
    > recommended that the wireless sets the IP automatically - network
    > connection
    > is then lost.
    >
    > I have configured the IP addresses on both machines manually in the same
    > range and this allows the two pcs to see each other again - but the second
    > machine does not go onto the net.
    >
    > Any ideas - before I go out and buy a ADSL router?
    >
    > Hope this all makes some sort of sense!
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: Help please - home network problems!

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:10:15 +0000 (UTC), John Smith wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Help please - I have an existing home network that has two machines both
    > running Win2000 connected.
    > The main PC is connected to a router via a LAN cable, the router has a
    > wireless access point plugged into it with a LAN cable. The second PC has a
    > wireless card that connects it to the network.
    >
    > This all works well - I have shared folders and am able to transfer / play
    > files ect.. between the two machines.

    Just to clarify:

    [PC]--ethernet--router--ethernet--WAP^ ^WCard--[PC2]

    I guess you have the router plugged in to the LAN side of the WAP, and
    the DHCP server turned on at the router and off at the WAP?

    > The problem is with my broadband connection that I want to share - the ADSL
    > modem is connected to the main PC via USB. The modem has no LAN connector.
    >
    > When I share modem windows has to assign it a IP address but it is
    > recommended that the wireless sets the IP automatically - network connection
    > is then lost.

    When you set internet connection sharing, you should have a setup like
    this:

    PC USB network interface: DHCP (automatic address)
    PC ethernet interface: 192.168.0.2, gateway 192.168.0.1
    Router: 192.168.0.1, gateway WAN interface
    PC2 ethernet interface: 192.168.0.3, gateway 192.168.0.1

    I suspect the problem is that the router is set such that it is
    the default gateway for its internal DHCP server. When it is
    connected, the PCs send their data to the router, which doesn't
    know what to do with it and so drops it.

    To solve the problem, you can do one of these:
    1) remove the router if you don't need it. Manually set the IP
    addresses of the wireless card, WAP, and PC ethernet card to the
    same subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.*). Set the default gateway for PC2
    to the IP of the main PC's ethernet card.
    2) set the router to advertise the IP of the main PC's ethernet
    card as the default gateway. Set the wireless card to DHCP.
    3) below...

    > I have configured the IP addresses on both machines manually in the same
    > range and this allows the two pcs to see each other again - but the second
    > machine does not go onto the net.

    This is similar to #1, but from this configuration you can open
    up a command prompt and type
    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.2
    where you replace 192.168.0.2 with the address of the main PCs ethernet
    interface.

    Let me know if you need me to clarify. You really shouldn't need to
    go get a DSL router (which would probably need an ethernet interface
    on your modem anyway), I use Windows' ICS at my parents' and it works
    fine in roughly the same configuration.

    -TC
    --
    swap triangle and cannedmeat to reply

  5. Re: Help please - home network problems!

    Thanks for the suggestions - will give them a go tonight and let you know.

    Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread