Sharing Folders - Network

This is a discussion on Sharing Folders - Network ; I have my desktop connected, via ethernet and crossover cable, to my laptop. The network setup works fine. Both are using WinXP Pro SP1. I have a large 4GB file on my laptop in My Documents that I want to ...

  1. Sharing Folders

    I have my desktop connected, via ethernet and crossover cable, to my
    laptop. The network setup works fine. Both are using WinXP Pro SP1.

    I have a large 4GB file on my laptop in My Documents that I want to
    transfer to my desktop. Where do I put the file in order to access it
    with my desktop?

    I know this is a simple question but I must have a brainlocking
    disease or something.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Sharing Folders

    Hello Jackson,

    There are 2 methods.

    1:
    Share the drive or folder where the file is. To do that, in [My
    Computer] or [Windows Explorer], right-click the drive or folder and
    click on sharing, and set it how you want.
    (You must have Windows file sharing enabled to do this.)

    2:
    In Windows XP, there is a folder under My Computer called [Shared
    Documents]. That folder is shared by default. Put any file you want to
    share over the network in there.
    (You must have Windows file sharing enabled to do this.)

    Then from Windows Explorer from the other machines, type in
    "//COMP_NAME"

    Where COMP_NAME is the name of the computer that has the file sharing.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind Regards,
    Bill Krahmer

    Internet/network service monitoring software.
    "First Alert Service Monitor" - Free trial.
    http://www.electrasoft.com/fasm.htm

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:34:18 -0500, Jackson Browne
    wrote:

    >I have my desktop connected, via ethernet and crossover cable, to my
    >laptop. The network setup works fine. Both are using WinXP Pro SP1.
    >
    >I have a large 4GB file on my laptop in My Documents that I want to
    >transfer to my desktop. Where do I put the file in order to access it
    >with my desktop?
    >
    >I know this is a simple question but I must have a brainlocking
    >disease or something.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

+ Reply to Thread