Home network printer won't work - Network

This is a discussion on Home network printer won't work - Network ; Hi all...... I've just put together a small home network, one pc running windows xp home and one running windows 98se. After some frustration I now have shared internet access and file sharing working on both computers. I cannot however ...

  1. Home network printer won't work

    Hi all...... I've just put together a small home network, one pc running
    windows xp home and one running windows 98se. After some frustration I
    now have shared internet access and file sharing working on both
    computers. I cannot however get them to share a printer, I've run the
    network wizard and all seems to be well, the printer shows up on both
    computers. I've installed the appropriate drivers etc. but all attempts
    to print from the windows 98 computer send the message, unable to
    communicate with the printer. I've tried looking at many websites, most
    of which are so general that they must be considered worthless, and I'm
    not able to solve this issue. Anyone got any suggestions?

    Newfdog

  2. Re: Home network printer won't work

    The printer must be shared out from the computer that it is connected to.
    Also, unless you have a network printer connected directly to your network
    (via a router, switch or hub) , the computer to which the printer is
    connected must be on in order to use the printer from other machines on the
    network.

    "Newfdog" wrote in message
    > Hi all...... I've just put together a small home network, one pc running
    > windows xp home and one running windows 98se. After some frustration I now
    > have shared internet access and file sharing working on both computers. I
    > cannot however get them to share a printer, I've run the network wizard
    > and all seems to be well, the printer shows up on both computers. I've
    > installed the appropriate drivers etc. but all attempts to print from the
    > windows 98 computer send the message, unable to communicate with the
    > printer. I've tried looking at many websites, most of which are so general
    > that they must be considered worthless, and I'm not able to solve this
    > issue. Anyone got any suggestions?
    >
    > Newfdog

  3. Re: Home network printer won't work

    Newfdog wrote:

    > Hi all...... I've just put together a small home network, one pc
    > running windows xp home and one running windows 98se. After some
    > frustration I now have shared internet access and file sharing working
    > on both computers. I cannot however get them to share a printer, I've
    > run the network wizard and all seems to be well, the printer shows up
    > on both computers. I've installed the appropriate drivers etc. but all
    > attempts to print from the windows 98 computer send the message,
    > unable to communicate with the printer. I've tried looking at many
    > websites, most of which are so general that they must be considered
    > worthless, and I'm not able to solve this issue. Anyone got any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Newfdog

    Hard to say what may be wrong. Can you right click on the printer from
    the Win98 machine and choose Properties? If so, can you print a test page?

    I don't have any real solutions when this happens. Yesterday I was
    unable to print to a printer attached to a system. The printer showed up
    on the other systems, but was 'not available'. I couldn't access the
    printer's properties either. A simple reboot of the system hosting the
    printer fixed the problem.

+ Reply to Thread