copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm - Network

This is a discussion on copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm - Network ; I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the ...

  1. copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.

    Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

  2. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    "Nicholas" wrote in message
    news:Z%U0e.59490$5T6.44175@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    > wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    > complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    > just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    > tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    > windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    > additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.

    I've used Ghost to backup to a shared folder over a LAN and it's not that
    hard. Might even be easier now that Ghost is based on Drive Image.

  3. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas
    wrote:

    >Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    Howdy,

    I wanted to comment on this last part of your post...

    I attempted to do similar things and had very significant
    (and seemingly random) errors endlessly.

    After many hassles, I determined that the problems I was
    having with image creation were due to the free version of
    ZA.

    But, to my amazement, turning it OFF did not help. I was
    able to solve my problems only by completely removing ZA
    from the machine that was to store the images I was
    creating.

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

  4. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    >wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    >complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    >just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    >tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    >windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    >additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.
    >
    >Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    Nicholas,

    Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a big
    difference.

    With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to
    access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings". All of
    these require administrative access, which you can't get across the network with
    Guest authentication.

    On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    you need to have SFS disabled on each computer.

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    local users authenticate as themselves".

    On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    "Classic", setup and use a common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever
    account is used, give it an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

    Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

  5. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    Thanks for the reply,

    I am using XP Home on both machines. It seems the items you listed are
    available only in XP Pro or are somewhere else. I'm unable to find
    "Simple file Sharing"

    Chuck wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:
    >

    >>I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    >>wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    >>complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    >>just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    >>tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    >>windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    >>additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.
    >>
    >>Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >>computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    > Nicholas,
    >
    > Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a big
    > difference.
    >
    > With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to
    > access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings". All of
    > these require administrative access, which you can't get across the network with
    > Guest authentication.
    >
    > On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
    > Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
    > you need to have SFS disabled on each computer.
    >
    > On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
    > Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
    > "Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
    > local users authenticate as themselves".
    >
    > On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
    > "Classic", setup and use a common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever
    > account is used, give it an identical, non-blank password on all computers.
    >
    > Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

  6. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:53:35 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply,
    >
    >I am using XP Home on both machines. It seems the items you listed are
    >available only in XP Pro or are somewhere else. I'm unable to find
    >"Simple file Sharing"

    With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to
    access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings". All of
    these folders require administrative access, which you can't get across the
    network with Guest authentication.

    Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

    BTW, posting your email address openly will get you more unwanted email, than
    wanted email. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
    bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - read this article.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

  7. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:53:35 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply,
    >
    >I am using XP Home on both machines. It seems the items you listed are
    >available only in XP Pro or are somewhere else. I'm unable to find
    >"Simple file Sharing"

    With XP Home, you're stuck with Simple File Sharing, which means you won't be
    able to access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    All of these folders require administrative access, which you can't get across
    the network with Guest authentication.

    Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?

    BTW, posting your email address openly will get you more unwanted email, than
    wanted email. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
    bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - read this article.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

  8. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    Chuck,

    Thanks again. I was unaware of the "Trusted zones" etc. A little
    research found it. However, it it seems I need to uncheck the "Require
    server verification (https for all sites in this zone" to be able to
    add the computers' IP's to eachother. Is this a problem?

    Thanks for the info on munging. It is something I forgot about since I
    had been of the groups for awhile.

    Chuck wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:53:35 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks for the reply,
    >>
    >>I am using XP Home on both machines. It seems the items you listed are
    >>available only in XP Pro or are somewhere else. I'm unable to find
    >>"Simple file Sharing"

    > With XP Home, you're stuck with Simple File Sharing, which means you won't be
    > able to access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    > All of these folders require administrative access, which you can't get across
    > the network with Guest authentication.
    >
    > Have you added each computer to the Local (Trusted) Zone on the other?
    >
    > BTW, posting your email address openly will get you more unwanted email, than
    > wanted email. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
    > bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    > internet - read this article.
    > http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

  9. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:09:45 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Chuck,
    >
    >Thanks again. I was unaware of the "Trusted zones" etc. A little
    >research found it. However, it it seems I need to uncheck the "Require
    >server verification (https for all sites in this zone" to be able to
    >add the computers' IP's to eachother. Is this a problem?
    >

    >Thanks for the info on munging. It is something I forgot about since I
    >had been of the groups for awhile.

    Nicholas,

    I've never heard of un checking the "Require server verification (https for
    all sites in this zone", but I shouldn't see it as a problem. As long as the
    computers in the zone trust each other, and you keep the zone small enough,
    you'll probably be OK.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

  10. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    "Nicholas" wrote in message
    news:Z%U0e.59490$5T6.44175@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    >I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to wipe
    >the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a complete copy
    >of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is just in case there
    >are important files I forgot about. However, when I tried to do it I was
    >not allowed access to several folders. (eg. windows) Is there a way? I
    >ghosted my previous desktop but I had an additional HD. Doing that with the
    >laptop is harder.

    Just partition your laptop as it is now and make the Ghost copy in the
    second partition OR have an external USB connected drive. If you dont have
    at least Ghost 9, get it before doing this. Previous versions were crap.

    > Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    > computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    Put the network in TRUSTED and turn off firewall for TRUSTED ( get the
    latest version of ZA if that doesn't make sense to you).

  11. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    "Kenneth" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >>computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    > Howdy,
    >
    > I wanted to comment on this last part of your post...
    >
    > I attempted to do similar things and had very significant
    > (and seemingly random) errors endlessly.
    >
    > After many hassles, I determined that the problems I was
    > having with image creation were due to the free version of
    > ZA.

    You were wrong then. I have used free and Pro and no problems of that sort.

  12. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    >>wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    >>complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    >>just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    >>tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    >>windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    >>additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.
    >>
    >>Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >>computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    > Nicholas,
    >
    > Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes
    > a big
    > difference.
    >
    > With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able
    > access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    > All of
    > these require administrative access, which you can't get across the
    > network with
    > Guest authentication.

    You can if you use FAT32 and if you purposely share them on the network.

  13. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:35:49 +1100, "Interrogative"
    wrote:

    >"Chuck" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:15:00 -0500, Nicholas <*email_address_deleted*>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have my laptop and desktop connected as a network. I am planning to
    >>>wipe the laptop HD and do a XP reinstall. I would like to make a
    >>>complete copy of the current HD into a folder on the desktop. This is
    >>>just in case there are important files I forgot about. However, when I
    >>>tried to do it I was not allowed access to several folders. (eg.
    >>>windows) Is there a way? I ghosted my previous desktop but I had an
    >>>additional HD. Doing that with the laptop is harder.
    >>>
    >>>Also, is there some way to configure Zonealarm (Free) to allow these two
    >>>computers to talk to each other without having to shut it down?

    >> Nicholas,
    >>
    >> Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes
    >> a big
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be able
    >> access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    >> All of
    >> these require administrative access, which you can't get across the
    >> network with
    >> Guest authentication.
    >>

    >You can if you use FAT32 and if you purposely share them on the network.

    An interesting distinction. Unfortunately, since the OP reports "I was not
    allowed access to several folders. (eg. windows)", I would suspect that he, like
    most other new owners of Windows XP, has already loaded NTFS. Going back to FAT
    is a matter of reformatting and reinstalling, not to mention that NTFS was
    designed for a purpose.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

  14. Re: copy harddrive over network, Zonealarm

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    news1ta41p2caucrjibg8rhe9rcs7tde5fbfp@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 23:35:49 +1100, "Interrogative"
    >
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Chuck" wrote in message

    >>> Nicholas,
    >>>
    >>> Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this
    >>> makes
    >>> a big
    >>> difference.
    >>>
    >>> With XP Home, or with XP Pro using Simple File Sharing, you won't be
    >>> able
    >>> access "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", or "C:\Documents and Settings".
    >>> All of
    >>> these require administrative access, which you can't get across the
    >>> network with
    >>> Guest authentication.
    >>>

    >>You can if you use FAT32 and if you purposely share them on the network.

    > An interesting distinction. Unfortunately, since the OP reports "I was
    > not
    > allowed access to several folders. (eg. windows)", I would suspect that
    > he, like
    > most other new owners of Windows XP, has already loaded NTFS. Going back
    > to FAT
    > is a matter of reformatting and reinstalling, not to mention that NTFS was
    > designed for a purpose.

    Sorry old sone but no it isn't. You can easily get 3rd party software to
    convert from NTFS to FAT32 without format and reinstall.

    Done it many times for various reasons, the main one being that if I wanted
    to use a boot floppy and stuff about with the HD after that, it is a lot
    less mucking about in FAT32.

+ Reply to Thread