Cable Question - Network

This is a discussion on Cable Question - Network ; Is it possible to make a cable that is USB on one end and Cat-5 on the other? Can you crimp an RJ45 terminator on a USB cable and make it talk? I'm dreaming about a cable that will plug ...

  1. Cable Question

    Is it possible to make a cable that is USB on one end and Cat-5 on the
    other? Can you crimp an RJ45 terminator on a USB cable and make it
    talk? I'm dreaming about a cable that will plug directly into the USB
    port on the computer and into a 10/100MB hub on the other. Perhaps
    this is purely a pipe dream, but...

    Thanks,
    Clay Harryman

  2. Re: Cable Question

    Well there are like USB NIC cards. Where one end is cat5 plugged into your
    NIC the other end is a I believe USB female port then you can plug a male
    USB cord from the modem into that female USB port and it acts as though it's
    a cat5 cable.
    "Clayton Harryman" wrote in message
    news:5b6cc838.0503220946.508a1853@posting.google.c om...
    > Is it possible to make a cable that is USB on one end and Cat-5 on the
    > other? Can you crimp an RJ45 terminator on a USB cable and make it
    > talk? I'm dreaming about a cable that will plug directly into the USB
    > port on the computer and into a 10/100MB hub on the other. Perhaps
    > this is purely a pipe dream, but...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Clay Harryman

  3. Re: Cable Question

    Hello Clay,

    You cannot just splice the wires together, that will for sur enot work
    and perhaps damage your equipment.

    They do make USB network adapters, though. There are some listed on
    this site:
    http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Network-Adapters.html

    Kind Regards,
    Bill Krahmer

    Internet/network service monitoring software - "First Alert Service
    Monitor". Free trial. http://www.electrasoft.com/fasm.htm

    On 22 Mar 2005 09:46:54 -0800, clayharryman@houston.rr.com (Clayton
    Harryman) wrote:

    >Is it possible to make a cable that is USB on one end and Cat-5 on the
    >other? Can you crimp an RJ45 terminator on a USB cable and make it
    >talk? I'm dreaming about a cable that will plug directly into the USB
    >port on the computer and into a 10/100MB hub on the other. Perhaps
    >this is purely a pipe dream, but...
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Clay Harryman

+ Reply to Thread